Os Or Windows Advice Please

Reaction score
I am replacing a laptop windows system for new PC/laptop and wonder whether i should change to the more expensive MAC? I will be starting photo editing and maybe DTP? how much RAM will i need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1Gb minimum, 2 is best.

Why are you thinking of moving to OS X by the way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hang on for a little while longer before you make up your mind. Apple will be showing off new notebook computers next week. Along with the new notebooks there will be a new price structure rumored to start at $699.00.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yeah, just wait for the new computer. Also, Mac can do photo editing, it has a program Aperture designed for it, just like Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Yeah, just wait for the new computer. Also, Mac can do photo editing, it has a program Aperture designed for it, just like Photoshop.

... as well as Photoshop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It is Mac, not MAC.

How much RAM you'll need is dependent on your demands. You learn that by checking your memory usage with the tools and data you'll be using. If you are currently doing this, use the appropriate system tool to look at that.

LDB

Reaction score
Ram is relatively inexpensive. Configure the maximum the system will address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Ram is relatively inexpensive from third parties. Upgrading a systems RAM when buying from Apple can often be more expensive than buying from a third party web site and installing it your self.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
the reason macs are more expensive, is because the hardware is better quality. there are people here using macs that are 10+ years old, and they are still working great. you can spec out a similar pc for probably less then half the price, but it will probably be dead within 2-3 years.
i would suggest first going to an apple store, or apple retailer, and trying out the os first. and be prepared for things to work in a different way.
if worst comes to worst and you buy one and you hate it, you could take it back, sell it, or boot windows on it, then you have windows with very good hardware.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for advice- much appreciate your time. In response to comments- I think ki99 summed it up... also I,m fed up with frozen screens, deteriorating speeds, interruptions from 'spy zappers'. 'Buy cheap buy twice'?? (this will be my third purchase in ten years). I've been aware for a long time that the CAD fraternity favour(?) OS for their memory hungry work and enjoy reliable results. So me thinks...Photo manipulation, DTP....Time to keep saving my pennies and try a change (with the maximum RAM as advised).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.