• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burn dvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what are your macs specs, and how is it a pain and time consuming, it takes me 1 and a half hourrs max to rip, compress, and burn.3 simple steps.

OP
J

jcjojolopez

I have a question concerning the burning of DVD'd. I have ripped using OXES and have also compressed using DVD2one. I have the video file on my desktop labeled video_TS. What kind of file is it now? And can I play this movie on !movie or ON MY DVD player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now they are .vob, download mplayer to view them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I rip with mactheripper, compress with dvd2onex, then burn in roxio popcorn which also compresses a little more if its needed. its so easy using popcorn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
Macman said:
I rip with mactheripper, compress with dvd2onex, then burn in roxio popcorn which also compresses a little more if its needed. its so easy using popcorn.

I thought mactheripper compressed also? Can I burn with iDVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mikegold said:
I thought mactheripper compressed also? Can I burn with iDVD?
mactheripper does NOT compress, only rips. you can burn with idvd iif you convert the ripped files after compressing, but its and extra and uneccessary step when you can go straight into toast or popcorn or even dragonburn.

OP
S

sivp

I Use Mac The Ripper to get the Audio and Video _ DVD folders, then i use Handbreak to convert it into AVI -> It's really high quality, I'm happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
an avi? why in the world would you do that?

Reaction score
Macman said:
an avi? why in the world would you do that?
I wonder the same. I do not think that a home dvd player reads AVI file. Maybe he's watching his movies only the MAC or PC winamp or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some dvd players read it, but it sucks as a'format' and its biggest bad characteristic is misaligned audio/video, also truncated audio. unless hes ripping, converting to avi, then converting to a .mov, then again to an mpg and burning that, kinda unneccessary.

OP
S

sivp

No.. heres my story from the beginning:

1) I wanted to back up the DVD "Some Like It Hot"
2) Popcorn didn't work cause of the encryption so i used MacTheRipper
3) I got all the .vob (etc) files onto my hard drive
4) Turns out the movie was 5.6 gigs so toast or DVD Studio Pro 3 didn't work
5) I use Handbreak to convert all the .vob (etc) into one playable movie file (It only converts to .AVI, but you can set very high quality and bitrate)
6) I use compressor to convert the .AVI into mpeg-2 and burn it in DVD Studio Pro 3

I guess I could bypass the Handbreak program if the movie was less than or equal to 4.7 gigs and just import it into Toast or DVD Studio Pro 3, but this one was 5.6 gigs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
again, unneccessary, after ripping, use dvd2onex to compress it, and burn that in toast or dvd studio pro 3 or idvd or popcorn.

Reaction score
Hi Macman, is there any freeware out there that is comparable to DvD2One? Thanks

OP
S

sivp

Macman said:
again, unneccessary, after ripping, use dvd2onex to compress it, and burn that in toast or dvd studio pro 3 or idvd or popcorn.

Everyone to his/her preferrences...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shift said:
Hi Macman, is there any freeware out there that is comparable to DvD2One? Thanks
not that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sivp said:
Everyone to his/her preferrences...
true, part of why I love mac is that there is often many ways to do the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.