dhtml the way to go?

D

design2

hey guys,

i have seen some html web sites that use dhtml to make small animations and they look good, even though its easy to use cheesy transition effects..

but where would the best place be to go for a dhtml tutorial?
i want when you click on an anchor link from the top it scrolls down med fast as an animation.

also does these effects only work on IE or what? thanks.

design2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
looks sorta like a little actionscripting mixed with a little dhtml or flash.

OP
E

eyepoker

Those menus you see around the net are javascript/dhtml. There are several you can purchase where the software you get presents a GUI for creating the menu systems. Transitional effects take advantage of unique features in Internet explorer. Some may exist in other browsers too, like css opacity. I suppose some may have little flash buttons or entire flash movies scrolling on layers though that may have pitfalls of its own. By and large they are all dhtml/javascript.

www.opencube.com makes a nice one and you can look at the source and dnowload for noncommercial use the Hier Menu system at.... some place I can't remember. Searching on google will show a bunch of options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Macman said:
these effects should work in any browser on any platform, that sounds sorta like a flash
button, probably not more difficult, Id say try flash if youre new to dynamic html, or try this: http://www.pacificwebeffects.com/webtoolsdirectory/dhtml.html
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/textflip.html

The effect looks like it could be flash, but it is deffinatly not, I used to be a flash programmer, and Flash actionscript at the current level as it is now, can not controll the browser on that level. The flash movie is one peice but has many instances of action script in it, on the newer version of flash there are even action script files that are external so that they can be shared by multiple flash movies. The thing is though, that Flash can't tell where in the brower window it is, It will act the sam if it is in the bottom, middle, or top. Therefore, It can't scroll the browser window because it does not know where the file is located in the window, and can not read markers that might be in the html. So flash is not capable of doing that effect, but if it could, it would be prety cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.