Do I need a windows CD for bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
I am using Leopard, and I was wondering if I need a windows CD to run windows, or if all I have to do is run the bootcamp assistance thing, and use the leopard CD.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You actually need all three. You use Boot Camp to partition space on your hard drive for Windows, then use the Windows disc to install Windows, then use the Leopard disc to install the drivers for your hardware.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kash is correct. Windows does not come with OSX. Microsoft would not like that very much at all! You need XP either Home or Pro with SP2 on the CD or Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And make sure it is XP SP2 and that you can register the key code. In other words it has not been registered with Microsoft previously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd go with XP. More compatibility and no problems unlike *ahem Vista ahem*.

Kash is correct though, as previously mentioned all three of these applications and discs serve an important purpose.

Reaction score
I highly recommend also that you located the Boot Camp install documentation from Apple, print it out and read it - follow the instructions to the letter during the Boot Camp install, and all will be well. The instructions are quite clear about what you need and not only answer the question in the OP, but will get you through the whole process.

Cheers

Reaction score
Im using a macbook pro and am up to stage where i need to partition the the macintosh hd. is all i need now the windows 7 disc ? or do i need something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's probably worth starting a new thread (perhaps a mod can move).

Basically, you need to run the bootcamp assistant in OSX which will download the windows driver package that you need to copy to USB stick or CD, it will then partition the disk, follow the instructions rebooting into the Full Retail or OEM Windows 7 disc, install windows, then install the drivers from the USB or CD you created earlier.

But I'd urge you to read and maybe print this first http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

It's a reasonably straightforward process but most of the issues raised on this forum are down to people not following the instructions.

Reaction score
okay thanks mate, but i am having problems still and the guide doesnt really say anything about it. when i click to partition it says that the installer disc cant be found ? which disc do i need to insert now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You aren't prompted for an installer disc when partitioning in the Bootcamp Wizard. You're told to put the Winodws disc in once the partitioning is complete.

Can you tell me exactly where you are in the process and the exact error message?

Also, what version of windows do you have 32bit/64bit retail/oem etc etc any info.

Reaction score
okay, so ive saved the windows support stuff to a usb, and now im on the next window titled; Create a Partition for Windows. Now i drag the partition to like 100gb for windows or whatever, and when i click install it loads for a while and then a pop up says;
The installer disc could not be found.
is this where i need to have the windows 7 disc in ?
I havent got my version yet, but yeah im going to buy windows 7 as soon as i know that i can install it properly and not waste my money and then **** it up haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need it at this point as it's about to reboot and start the Windows Installation

Reaction score
Two things - you said you were running Leopard. I would strongly consider updating to Snow Leopard; that will have better support. Second, I would not start the process until you have everything handy including your Windows disc. It's very simple if you follow the specific instructions in the guide and on the screen. It will tell you when to insert your Windows install disc.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.