• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Strange problem with timings on Quicktime and Imovie

Reaction score
Hello:

I have an IMac Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X and am using Imovie HD 6.

I encountered a strange problem importing a quicktime DV file into Imovie.

I imported a DVD onto my computer. Then used MPEG Streamclip to convert to a quicktime file I could import into Imovie. Everything worked fine.

The file is 43 minutes long. When I import it into Imovie, it is also 43 minutes long, but the second counter in Imovie is running quicker than it runs in Quicktime. (For example, at 1:00:00 in the Quicktime version, I'm already at 1:05:00 in Imovie). So when I reach the end of the movie in Imovie, I'm actually only 39 minutes into the film, and the last 4 minutes are not imported. I don't understand why this is happening. But now I have an incomplete movie.

I recently imported a 21 minute excerpt from the film (somehow my first MPEG Streamclip version only output 21 minutes) and the timings were exactly matched up in Quicktime and Imovie.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Do I need to start from scratch and reimport? Or are there some settings in Quicktime or Imovie that need to be adjusted. I wouldn't mind being able to add another 5 minutes of black screen to the Quicktime video so I could import everything into Imovie, but I have no idea how to edit a Quicktime video without going into Imovie.

I appreciate your help!

Many thanks.

OP
L
Reaction score
follow-up

Just a quick follow-up. I got my metronome out and there's no doubt that the timer on IMOVIE is too fast. On quicktime, a second is an actual second. On Imovie's counter, a second probably only lasts about 9/10 of an actual second. It keeps this up so that by the 43rd minute, I've lost 10% of the film.

OP
L
Reaction score
Problem Solved

I figured out the problem. I was importing a PAL video. I needed to import at 25 FPS (frames per second) instead of nearly 30 for NTSC. This solved the problem. It can be changed in Preferences.

Hopefully no one will encounter this problem in the future.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.