Windows (via BootCamp) Wireless Unstable, Solution?

Reaction score
Hello!

I just reinstalled Boot Camp and Windows XP SP 2 on my Intel iMac G5 and updated to Boot Camp 2.1, but my wireless internet is very, very unstable, which means:

1. I get very low wireless signal, while I get 5 out of 5 bars (very strong) on both my iBook G4 AND the same iMac when booted on Leopard.

2. Whenever I'm lucky enough to successfully connect to my router, I get randomly disconnected after maximum 2 minutes.

I've searched online and tried updating the Broadcom drivers, rebooting a thousand times and I also tried an open network (pretty sure it's the neighbors' I get a pretty decent signal on my laptop, nothing on Windows.) and still no luck.

My solution: Use Leopard's Internet Sharing and connect my iMac on Windows to my iBook (using my wireless internet) via Ethernet.

Problem is: I have activated the Internet Sharing, now what? I've done it before with 2 Macs, but Windows seems to be a bit eager to accept the Ethernet connection, is there any extra steps I need to take? (beside activating Internet Sharing on Leopard and connecting both computers with an Ethernet cable)?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to resolve the wireless issue on Windows and not worry about internet connection sharing as that will only further complicate things.

Obviously, if your iBook G4 and your iMac when booted to OS X receive a strong signal and both have no problems, then you can conclude that you have not correctly setup the Windows wireless connection.

Go back over all the steps, options, and settings in Windows. Remove the wireless connection in Windows and start over. Use the wireless wizard.

Also read the following MS Technet article:

Troubleshooting IEEE 802.11 Wireless Access with Microsoft Windows

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Hello Alexstre,
I have had the exact same problem and just fixed it yesterday by getting Windows updates on the windows bootcamp. So try to get the latest updates from the Microsoft site and see how it goes then.

Cheers LL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.