boot camp woes

Reaction score
So I got a new MacBook for college, butt of course one of my classes HAS to use windows only software, so I decide that this would be a good time to try out boot camp, I partion my hard disk giving the windows partion 50 gb, and then I put in the windows xp pro cd I borrowed, I ran the disk and I got to the part where u select what partion to instal it on but to my avail, only one partion showed, and was the size of my entire hardisk! I exit out and reboot my mac and try different combinations of using disk utility to partion it, formating the hard drive as ms-dos but every time it only showed the single partion when I tried to instal the disk. Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what kind of disk you "borrowed" but since that is a violation of the MS EULA and not ethical, you really need to purchase a full install copy of XP including SP2, or a full install copy of Vista.

Ask the IT or education department at your school if they provide a full licensed copy of XP or Vista for legal download from the school server. Many schools have a multiple license for Windows and provide it as a service for their students.

As far as your partition troubles go, it's probably due to the fact that the disk you borrowed is not a proper version to use with Boot Camp. Be sure to restore your entire hard drive back to OS X. You do that by running the Boot Camp assistant again from OS X, select create partition, select restore.

Regards.

Reaction score
One of the most common boot camp "issues" is someone using something other than a full, legit SP2 copy of windows. XP is probably the most cracked / pirated piece of software ever created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Hi Golla,
You need a genuine copy of Windows XP and it must have SP2 on it, or it won't work. That is what it states in Bootcamp if you read the printout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.