• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPhone or HTC Diamond?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Hi guys,

My Motorola E6 finally gave in.. so.. I need help deciding on the phones to get.

I currently own a 1st Gen 16GB iPod Touch, and love the music, podcasts, email, addressbook and calendar syncing but I'm mainly worried about the battery life if I decide to get an iPhone 3G. (3G is a MUST for me)

On the other hand, If i get a HTC Diamond, I doubt I'll be able to sync my other junk into it with itunes right? The pricing for the HTC diamond sounds pretty good too.

Am living in Malaysia, so.. I can only get an unlocked version of the iPhone which costs like USD1300. ( I know, madness ) Whereby the HTC Diamond costs USD780. Phones in Malaysia are all actually unlocked.

Main usage for these would be emailing, music, web, and gps. Not a calling kind of person. And well.. I dont want to carry too many expensive devices on me. The chances of getting mugged in Malaysia is pretty high..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like you've already laid out which is the best phone. Go for the Diamond.

jah

Reaction score
i did not think the diamond screen was daylight readable. the screen is very small too.

on the positive side the diamond using win mobile has thousands of third part applications so one way or another you will be able to do what you want.

consider the google phones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Def go with the HTC Diamond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Get the iPhone and ditch the iPod Touch. That's one less thing to carry. You already know you like the software. It's widely regarded as a better phone than the Diamond. The only thing the Diamond has going in its favor is price (that iPhone price is pretty hard to swallow, I must admit), and there's less chance of being mugged (who REALLY wants a Windows Mobile-based phone?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Funnily enough I was playing with my sis-in-laws Diamond last night. Interface is ok - not a good as the iPhone.

I usually steer clear of Microsoft software (Windows Mobile in the case of the Diamond) and sure enough when I launched the web browser the phone crashed and the battery had to come out! :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
iPhone all the way. WinMo in it's current incarnation is horrible.

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
i did not think the diamond screen was daylight readable. the screen is very small too.

on the positive side the diamond using win mobile has thousands of third part applications so one way or another you will be able to do what you want.

consider the google phones?

I doubt that they'll bring down the google phone to KL, wont be usable here anyway and the phone doesn't have a headphone jack!

Other than that, yeah. I loved my iPod Touch. Would be great if it was a phone. The diamond is pretty hot over here. Everyone wants it. Haven't seen the phone for my self. I hope it has a easier interface. Windows mobile isn't THAT bad. I guess..

This might sound really cliché, I have this annoying urge to get the iPhone. Being a Apple-fanatic and all =x

jah

Reaction score
-the microsoft mobile is wild, very frustrating
-the htc screen is not daylight readable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
HTC Touch Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
HTC Diamond of course, even its looks are amazing. If it wasn't so expensive in my country, I would have definitely bought it, it's worth like $1400 unlocked here, and I don't want to pay all that in a freaking phone.

Best of luck.

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply guys.

How is the HTC Diamond not daylight readable? I'm always on the go. And if thats not possible. I obviously have to cut that out of my list. Would the statement be true? Or is like, you need to strain abit more to see the screen?

Anyways. If you guys do have any phones to suggest. Please do. Must be able to do syncing with my mac , addressbook, email accounts , music , podcasts and etc ( I'm sure you all understand the drill )

Samgsung Omnia looks pretty good actually.. Anyone seen it first hand before?

One thing I love about the iPod Touch is the glossy screen. Love it! Easy to scrool around. I need to be able to find a phone which would be that flexiable. If there's a kind of touchscreen that has this feature or somesort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Thanks for the reply guys.

How is the HTC Diamond not daylight readable? I'm always on the go. And if thats not possible. I obviously have to cut that out of my list. Would the statement be true? Or is like, you need to strain abit more to see the screen?

Anyways. If you guys do have any phones to suggest. Please do. Must be able to do syncing with my mac , addressbook, email accounts , music , podcasts and etc ( I'm sure you all understand the drill )

Samgsung Omnia looks pretty good actually.. Anyone seen it first hand before?

One thing I love about the iPod Touch is the glossy screen. Love it! Easy to scrool around. I need to be able to find a phone which would be that flexiable. If there's a kind of touchscreen that has this feature or somesort.

I think some people are mistaken when they say it's not readable in sunlight. IIRC, it has BETTER screen resolution than the Iphone.

Iphone: 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

HTC: 640x480 pixel resolution
Htc Diamond: HTC Diamond Has Ultra-High Density Display

Do some research first before you take anyone's word. This is an Apple forum so people tend to be a little more biased towards the Iphone..

I hear the touchflo is kind of slow on the HTC diamond. If I'm not mistaken the HTC Touch Pro should be out in Malaysia? It has better hardware and more RAM and I hear the touchflo interface is so much better. Only downside is, it's a little thicker because it has the full fold out keyboard. But that may be a plus for you if you get online/text a lot. I'm just assuming you do since 3G is a "must" for you.

jah

Reaction score
I think some people are mistaken when they say it's not readable in sunlight. IIRC, it has BETTER screen resolution than the Iphone.
Do some research first before you take anyone's word. This is an Apple forum so people tend to be a little more biased towards the Iphone...

very well said, do the research.

Screen resolution has nothing to do with it being daylight readable.
windows mobile has lots of stability issues.

i do NOT plan to buy a iphone so i am very interested in you guy's opinions here. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Resolution has absolutely nothing to do with whether a display is readable in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resolution has absolutely nothing to do with whether a display is readable in direct sunlight.

hehe. Sorry. I'm brain dead after taking the LSAT this past weekend >.< Obviously screen resolution does not equate quality. I did however read somewhere that it does have better viewing quality when doing a side by side comparison in direct sunlight between the Iphone and the HTC diamond. I'll see if I can hunt down the article again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
very well said, do the research.

Screen resolution has nothing to do with it being daylight readable.
windows mobile has lots of stability issues.

i do NOT plan to buy a iphone so i am very interested in you guy's opinions here. thanks.

What kind of "stablity" issues are you referring to? I'll be the first to admit that it isn't the greatest OS for a handheld but it isn't the worst either. It's basically a mini PC that you can hack and mod any way you want. I'd prefer mod-a-bility with a few quirks over a locked down proprietary software any day. It is slow at times, I've had a few lock ups when doing multiple things. I think the lack of hardware to run it is partially to blame. Something that the HTC touch pro may remedy with the somewhat beefier hardware.

Overall, I've been extremely pleased with my windoze OS phone. I mean let's not kid ourselves, the Iphone is far from perfect itself...but then again, what is these days?

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll go get a pricecheck on the iPhone and HTC Touch Pro one last time before I decide.

Feel free to add additional comments about HTC, or Windows Mobile. Am really interested of hearing about the "stability issues" and other issues that I might get. Am doubtful about the Windows Mobile issues though.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the HTC Diamond syncs with a Macbook 10.5.5? I am also thinking of getting a Diamond and would like to know. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.