Emac help

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this board, I decided to join because I'm having trouble with my emac. I can't get it to connect to the internet. As of right now it says connecting and then times out. I haven't had it connected before because I got it used from a school. I have an ethernet cable hooked to a Linksys wireless router that I use for my Dell laptop. The ethernet cable is brand new, I bought it last night at Best buy.
If you have an suggestions please help.

I've only been using macs for about a year now because I use them at school for graphic design.

Thank you,

Wonderboy:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
We need to know what Network settings you're using with your Linksys router. Your eMac may not work right off from one network environment to a different one.

Something to try meantime is to 1) switch off the router for a few minutes, then try again; or 2) reset factory defaults in the router. If it's like others, it has a pinhole at the back into which you poke the fine tip of a ball pen (or similar). Be aware that might mess with your Dell settings though.

Lastly I don't know for sure, but can you use one router with two quite different computer systems?

OP
W
Reaction score
When we set up the router we didn't do anything different to it, atleast I'm not sure if we did because I didn't set it up.

I'm not sure what to do if I can't set it up this way unless I plug it directly into the black box where the internet comes to.

I'll try to unplug and see if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
If it's a linksys wireless 54 G router, unplug the router, wait 10 seconds, reset the router, (There's a little button down in the back, hold it for 10 seconds and let go) and lastly do the same with your modem. It should work fine after that.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I'm pretty sure its a G wireless so it might be the same thing. I'll try resetting it tomorrow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
ok first, if you are wired to the router, you should not have to worry about passwords. open applications>utiities>network utilties. click on ping. type in localhost and then click the ping button. there will be some info that comes up. if the end of the line says time=X.XXX ms then this step is good. if not, then you have a bad network card. next, find the ip address of your router and then type that into the network utility ping box and then click ping. you should get a result similar to the localhost ping. if not, try plugging in your cable to a different jack in the back of your router.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok I tried that and it went through fine. At the bottom it says 10 packets transmitted, 10 packers received, 0% pocket loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.21/0.961/6.476 ms

That sounds like nothing is wrong but firefox still won't connect. Is there anything I need to do to let browsers connect?
Internet Explorer when I try it says The Specified server could not be found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is that from your router or localhost?

OP
W
Reaction score
The one up there was from localhost but then when I did the router one it did pretty much the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so you can talk to your router. try the IP address for the other computer. if that works, then try to ping Yahoo!. if you get that one then there is something wrong with your safari setup. also, what are the specs of your emac?

OP
W
Reaction score
I tried the Yahoo! in the ping and it worked.
my emac specs are
256MB
700MHZ PowerPC G4

it's very minimal. I won't be able to do much outside of surf the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am at a loss. if you pinged yahoo, then you should have internet.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for helping. My mom called the person that basically sold us the emac, she's the network person for the school, and she said I need to hook it straight to the modem. She also said, she thought the emac had an Airport card built in and when we tried to use the wireless part, the emac wouldn't read the airport card.

Anyways, Thank you so much for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.