Urgent Help Parallels

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a massive problem I've just faced. I've got a macbook 13" running a tiger. I use parallels to for boot into XP. Now when i recently tried running parallels it gave me an error message saying

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Now I've tried booting into windows without using parallels and it gives me one of those screens where it asks you to select whether you want to boot into safe mode or start windows normally. But when I try to select one of the options, it doesn't accept any input from the keyboard and after 24 secs shuts off and starts again. Now the microsoft website says it's a problem with the bootloader and an entry in the boot.ini file and instructs to use the repair utility on the XP installation disk. Is there any way of repairing my windows installation on my mac. I've got some pretty important assignments coming up that i need to finish using Visual Studio, hence the urgency. Your help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This can happen if you have an external USB storage device attached when you start windows in parallels. Any pen drives, ext HDDs attached?

If thats not it there's info here on how to do a repair of windows in the Parallels VM

OP
R
Reaction score
no i have nothing connected. It says that you have to make a change to the boot.ini file and i can locate it from the command terminal. But the windows file system is write only. SO i can't modify it and i don't know what to modify.

This guy here had a similar problem

windows partition on mac desktop - Boot.ini file - Mac Forums

but he fixed it. I didn't understand how he solved it though.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Updated my post with repair help from the Parallels support pages. That should fix it.

OP
R
Reaction score
could you give me the link to it because it mentions over 700 posts under your name. Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.