• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Nintendo New Media Player DS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Nintendo, today at their conference in Japan, announced a new Media Player version of the Nintendo DS. It will feature a way to put music and movies onto the system, and feature an online "store" where you can buy games and such. Hmm, sounding like an iPod, isn't it? It will be released later this year, and early 2009 in the US. It will cost only about 20 dollars more than the DS lite.

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like an iPod Touch? Online store, media player, touch screen. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Online stores and media players existed long before the iPod Touch, and the DS had a touch screen before Apple even started toying with the idea. If anything, this is more likely to be an attempt to one-up the PSP in non-gaming areas since that machine is the DS's only direct competitor.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, but media players also existed before iPods, but they are now the most popular. I think they are trying to compete with Apple in the sense of media players as well as gaming, because the iPod Touch seems to be focussed on games (the advertisements, anyway). Also, that was a good point you made about the PSP, but I think, as of now, anyway, the PSP is a much more capable machine. (I own a DS myself, but that was because I am too cheap to pay for a PSP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I think it's a pointless update. I doubt I'll buy it. Nothing new really... camera, big woop. Taller screen... so what? They didn't bump the resolution or any other hardware, so what's the point. I was able to play media on the DS when I had my light. Open source utilities helped, but still.

I think they are adding an SD to detour people from purchasing "hack" devices, I don't think it's going to happen. The way I see it, it might help.

I'll buy another when they actually improve the hardware and put more power into the unit. You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.

Ah yes I agree. Bit I only own the first DS. The chunky silver non lite version. And this just might be the clincher for me to upgrade to the lite. I'll sell my old DS though to partially find it. That is if this is released in Australia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.

There's a media player or two for the DS, one of them is called Moonshell. Allot of it works in OS X, you don't really have to deal with programs too much, everything is drag and drop.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sounds nice. maybe a bit late.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.