PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo New Media Player DS

Forum Shark
10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Nintendo, today at their conference in Japan, announced a new Media Player version of the Nintendo DS. It will feature a way to put music and movies onto the system, and feature an online "store" where you can buy games and such. Hmm, sounding like an iPod, isn't it? It will be released later this year, and early 2009 in the US. It will cost only about 20 dollars more than the DS lite.

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like an iPod Touch? Online store, media player, touch screen. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess.

Discerptor
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Online stores and media players existed long before the iPod Touch, and the DS had a touch screen before Apple even started toying with the idea. If anything, this is more likely to be an attempt to one-up the PSP in non-gaming areas since that machine is the DS's only direct competitor.

Forum Shark
10-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I know, but media players also existed before iPods, but they are now the most popular. I think they are trying to compete with Apple in the sense of media players as well as gaming, because the iPod Touch seems to be focussed on games (the advertisements, anyway). Also, that was a good point you made about the PSP, but I think, as of now, anyway, the PSP is a much more capable machine. (I own a DS myself, but that was because I am too cheap to pay for a PSP).

Ghostshadow
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I think it's a pointless update. I doubt I'll buy it. Nothing new really... camera, big woop. Taller screen... so what? They didn't bump the resolution or any other hardware, so what's the point. I was able to play media on the DS when I had my light. Open source utilities helped, but still.

I think they are adding an SD to detour people from purchasing "hack" devices, I don't think it's going to happen. The way I see it, it might help.

I'll buy another when they actually improve the hardware and put more power into the unit. You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.

Forum Shark
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.

the8thark
10-03-2008, 09:55 AM
You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.

Ah yes I agree. Bit I only own the first DS. The chunky silver non lite version. And this just might be the clincher for me to upgrade to the lite. I'll sell my old DS though to partially find it. That is if this is released in Australia.

Ghostshadow
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.

There's a media player or two for the DS, one of them is called Moonshell. Allot of it works in OS X, you don't really have to deal with programs too much, everything is drag and drop.

eric
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
sounds nice. maybe a bit late.