• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Please educate me about iMac G5 to be a TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
Hi...

I have a beginner question to ask and am seeking for an expert advise and suggestion.

My plans are;

1) Use my iMac G5 as a TV and watch a regular TV program through iMac (I subscribe a local cable). I can do the opposite; play movies by iMac G5 and watch them with my 52" TV.

2) Whatever the programs I watch through iMac G5, I would like to record (as recording to VHS tape in old days) them such as sports or movies.

3) I would like to convert VHS taped contents to the digital media (burn them to DVD). I have a tons of football videos from the last 15 years. I want to put them into DVDs. I believe this particular information was referenced in MacWorld magazine but could not remember which issue was.

What I need to know are;

Any adapters or software I should get to complete my plans. I recently received a catalog from Macsales and it listed devices from Elgato. It seems they could be a key for this mission but I do not know much about.

I do not have any time limit to finish my project. If someone has a great idea or suggestion that I do not have to invest a huge amount (say over $300), that would be the best.

And if someone has a good success story, similar to what I intend to do, please share it with me...

Thanks for reviewing my post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have the elgato eyetv 250 plus tuner and it can do everything you are wanting to do.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops, it was 52"...

Murlyn, thanks for your information. I should look into that device, then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have an Elgato EyeTV. It too has an input port that allows recording from S-Video or RCA devices. It is also $50 cheaper than their 250 model.

You need to pay attention to what the requirements are for the device you want to buy. For instance the Elgato lists that OS X 10.4 is required for their solution.

For point 3, remember that most bought DVD and VHS movies have a signal that disallows clean recordings. That requires another box known as a video stabilizer. Keep in mind that this is a very time consuming process.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
xstep, thanks for your advise. I've ordered Elgato Eye TV 250 Plus from Macsales. They had a refurbished one available by Elgato and I saved about $50. It should arrive before the weekend. I will keep it posted how it goes. A friend of mine did VHS-DVD on his PC and told me it took very long and the DVD quality was not as good as expected.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To update...

I got an Elgato Eye TV 250 Plus from OWC on Friday and set it up as instructed. This is a great device and I enjoy it very much. Only I need now is a longer coaxial cable. OWC is very fast to ship.

I now can do exactly what I wanted; record TV program and convert VHS to DVD.

I thank Murlyn and xstep for the great advise.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.