I really just want to know what's legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alright, my thread was closed, and maybe this is in bad taste, but I legitimately do not understand why using an upgrade disc is illegal. It is built into the functionality of those discs to install to a fresh hard drive. It asks for proof of ownership of a previous version, and in fact websites all over the internet strongly encourage a fresh install as opposed to upgrading over a previous OS. Why should it be any different just because the computer is a Mac? I am still a loyal Microsoft customer who has bought multiple versions of windows and other programs.

I am not a lawyer, and it would give me no great pleasure to memorize the EULA, but I do not see how using a function built into the normal process of the installation can be considered legal on a PC and illegal on a mac. It just does not make sense to me. One of the moderators quoted that the EULA for an upgrade disc states that it is to only be applied to a Windows based operating system. Regardless if that is written or not, why would it be written that way and then put into action another way by blatantly allowing returning customers to do clean installs?

I am sitting here with 2, 100% legitimate windows releases. And you are telling me it is illegal to do on my mac what I can do on my PC right now free and clear? I am sure this thread is going to get closed, but that is unfortunate because I am actually confused. You have already dissuaded me from trying -- I dont want to break the law. But even by what has been said, it does not appear illegal to me. It just appears inconvenient because of how the eject button works on a mac.

Sorry for taking this the one step further, but I really hope someone will write me an answer that actually appreciates that I don't understand and would like to. Does what is legal to do with a piece of software differ based on if it is used on a Mac, PC, or Linux system? The bottom line for me is I am a college student living on a shoe string, and I do not want to buy OEM because those I know are only good for one system EVER... if I ever replace a computer I would need to re-buy it again, and I would have problems like this again and again. $200 just cannot happen right now, but a mobile computer with XP is of practical import to me, although I prefer to work in OS X. It seems to me like I have all the pieces to make this legally work, and it is irritating to know that if the CD rom were different, it would.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First let me ask this. Is this with Bootcamp under OSX of you just want to format the whole Mac and install Windows? If it's the later you will get no help here as we only support installing Windows Via Bootcamp or the Virtual systems like Parallels and others like it.

If with Bootcamp, it only works with a Full Install SP2 XP CD or a similar Vista DVD. It will not work with an Upgrade CD as it's not bootable. That is the way Bootcamp works and what it wants to install Windows. To me it's not a matter of Law, an upgrade XP CD will just not work with Bootcamp. Only a Full install XP Home or PRO with SP2 will install with bootcamp.

Edit: I just read your previous thread and now I see where the Mod was coming from. Even if we ignored the EULA on the Upgrade XP CD, it will not work with bootcamp unless it's a Full Install SP2 or a Slipstreamed SP1 Full Install CD of XP.

I am going to close this thread as people here have already told you that an Upgrade CD will not work with Bootcamp EULA or no EULA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.