Airport no longer auto connects after WEP Change

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I changed the WEP Key, and also edited it in Mac
But ever since It does not auto connect any more and always asks me which network I want to connect to when I start mac or when getting out of sleep
It is driving me crazy how can I solve this annoying problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you select "Remember any network this computer has joined" from the advanced settings in System Preferences, Network, Airport?

Regards.

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Yes and the network I'm using is in that list above it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Generation Mac Pro beefed up to the max at every level.
Are you using Intego software? Intego has caused me more problems than I think it's worth. Ever since that last update to 10.5.5 my airport was doing the same thing. If and I say If your using Intego net barrier x5, open it up and click on the netbarrier x5 by the Apple logo, go to preferences and click it, then go to advanced and click revert to default. this will take you back to default settings and your airport should start working again. You will be just fine on the default settings with netbarrier x5. I find any higher settings causes allot of problems on your macintosh. Please e-mail if this fixes your problem. I am the king of finding out what is ailing our Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I changed the WEP Key, and also edited it in Mac
But ever since It does not auto connect any more and always asks me which network I want to connect to when I start mac or when getting out of sleep
It is driving me crazy how can I solve this annoying problem

Have you tried deleting the profile for it and recreating it again? I experienced something similar to this and that seemed to resolve the problem.

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I don't use intego software
And I try to delete it but and it disappears from the list, but when I restart again Airport to choose between preffered connections and the network is still on there
And when I add it again it still knows the password
So it's not even deleting it, I lost all my stress since I switched to mac but I'm feeling stress coming up again with A MAC, only Microsoft could cause me stress(Tough with Microsoft it's unsolvable continues stress)

Edit:
Actually I read it wrong, when I start the PC the message that pops up says it didn't find any known saved networks
WHILE IT'S FREAKIN KNOWN it's saved it's in that list
I'm getting so freakin frustrated on this

Reaction score
I've been having the same airport problems since the last update also. I still haven't figured it out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Turn off WEP and change it to WPA. WEP is so easily hacked, it can be done with readily available tools in less than a few minutes. You might as well be using no security at all.

WPA has been around since about 2004. All modern Macs and routers support it. It is easier to use than WEP (you only need to come up with a password) and performs better overall.

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I changed to WPA still same problem
I hate this, why can't my mac perform such a simple task
EDIT:
I think I just fixed the issue
I removed Keychain and placed the Preferences App in the Applications folder(Was in Applications/Tools before) then I added my network again and now it seems to work fine again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.