Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive 1 TB - Any Feedback?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I have one the 320 gb model. works great so far. 4 months old.

a friend of mine has a 500 gb model that just broke. about a year old. had a power outage the other day and the drive wont' turn on or mount in the finder.

Not sure why.

I like mine, but I guess like any drive, they can break.

OP
D
Reaction score
macgig,
Thanks for the feedback.
Did you remove the WD software found on the drive?
I intend to re format HFS+ and a small portion of the drive NTFS. I'm interested in the drive shutdown feature when it detects that the computer is off. I wonder if the WD software is needed for this feature, or if the feature relies on built in firmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I removed the mac software that came with it, was not impressed with it... and after the 30 day trial or whatever it was, you would have to buy it for $50 or something like that....

I went with Carbon copy cloner, works great. My drive shuts on and off with the mac... and sleeps when the mac does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mine is LOUD! i have other drives from owc which are whisper quiet and reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have the 500 gig USB 2 one. Works great. Don't use the Mac software at all. It's quiet and shuts off with the rest of my stuff, as I have it all hooked up to a power surge outlet, connected to the wall switch. I turn in all off when I'm done. It's hooked up to my Airport Extreme going wireless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.