External drive question

Reaction score
My wife has a MacNook Pro Duo and she has an external HD, when we set it up I formatted it with the MAC and I think its using the same format as a Mac would use, my question is if I hook it up to a PC will it work or will it think its a new drive and will want me to format it?

Thank You
Don

Reaction score
it will work, but i forget the technicalities but i believe you will only be able to transfer files up to 4gb in size from your pc to external hd. dont quote me though.

OP
D
Reaction score
I want to transfer stuff of that drive to the PC and I don't want to accidentally format the drive and then everything is gone on the drive.

Reaction score
you can right now plug in the external hd to your pc and it will work but you will only be able to transfer files up to 4gb in size at a time.

you SHOULD be able to transfer the files from the external hd to you oc without a problem and not need to format it.

look up the technicalities on google or something.

... I have a western Digital external HD formatted in FAT 32. It reads quite well on my apple and windows computers.

Now, I can open and read a NTFS HD connected to my mac. I can even drag files from it onto my mac... I just can't write to it. But, I also have a Seagate FreeAgent Go that I formatted just for use on my mac. I use this for storing large projects and software to transport from school, to work, to home. When I plug it into a windows PC running XP... it won't even be recognized as a hard drive. That is why I asked... OK... what do I need to do... to get a windows PC to read an external HD formated for apple? Will it be "read only" on a PC, the way an NTFS HD is read only when plugged into a mac?

If reformatting to FAT 32 for a PC to be able to read apple produced files is the only way, then it is the only way. I will grant that I could have asked if there was a windows utility to allow a MS machine to read an apple formatted HD or that I could have been more descriptive of just what I wanted to accomplish. I may know a great deal about some complicated pieces of audio/video and graphic software but I am extremely ignorant about what makes my computer actually work. Thus, telling me that FAT32 is my only option would have been a wee bit more informative than stating "then do that" was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.