• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

McCain lies to Letterman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
A politician that lies? I don't believe it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
say it aint so

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule...
Of course, lying is part of the job. It's the stupidity of booking with Katie Couric after telling Dave Lettermen you need to fly back to Washington right away that cracks me up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I saw that on Morning Joe this morning. This just adds on why I do believe anything politicians say. you sometimes can't even get on someone's show!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It always seems to be the lesser of two evils when trying to vote for president :(

Reaction score
A politician that lies? I don't believe it.

yessir, par for the course for pretty much any politician.

I am not usually a big Letterman fan, but he had every right to point that out. Dumb move on McCain's part.

BTW, I don't have a dog in the presidential race, so I like sitting back at laughing at both McCain's and Obama's hypocrisy.

Reaction score
the occasional lie is to be expected - mccain calling his wife the c-word is far more troubling.

Meh. Couples can and do call each other all kinds of stuff. My brother has called his wife far worse things. He doesn't mean it and she knows it. She has also called him all kinds of stuff too. Actions speak louder than words and real life ain't a fairy tale chick flick. People get frustrated and sometimes say things they don't mean.

IMO that question is sort of like the "have you ever lied?" question. Of course everybody has, but if you admit to it, people look down on you and of course if you say no, you are currently lying.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that word equates to a real lack of respect not only for someone who was close to him, but women in general.

if your brother has called his wife worse than that, i feel sorry for her and suggest your brother get counseling.

Reaction score
that word equates to a real lack of respect not only for someone who was close to him, but women in general.

if your brother has called his wife worse than that, i feel sorry for her and suggest your brother get counseling.

no need to feel sorry for her. She is perfectly happy. As I mentioned before, she has called him all kinds of stuff also (most of which would be blocked by the language filter here). There is zero abuse going either way (I would be stepping in if there was) and they didn't mean what they said. Their kids (they each had some from a previous relationship) all prefer to stay with them over their other respective parents. My nephew was flat out crying because had to go to his mother's after my brother got married.

I guess you have never ever called anyone anything negative before, right?

I guess I just have a thicker skin when it comes to calling people names. I have called my brother things FAR worse than the "C-word", but I would still take a bullet for him. I guess I don't respect him and need counseling too though because of my potty-mouth.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my wife and i have too much respect for each other than to call each other any sort of name. i would expect the same of any great leader.

if your family is fine with that sort of abuse, i'm sorry to hear that. hopefully their kids aren't picking up on that and won't continue it, but the odds are against them.

Reaction score
my wife and i have too much respect for each other than to call each other any sort of name. i would expect the same of any great leader.

if your family is fine with that sort of abuse, i'm sorry to hear that. hopefully their kids aren't picking up on that and won't continue it, but the odds are against them.

Yup we is horrible people.

As for McCain's lack of respect of women. Who is running with a female VP candidate?

I think you have an image of us going around just cussing at each other. Like I said before it is like the "have you ever lied?" question can make one sound like a compulsive liar to some people. The times the words were spoken were either jokingly (my brother's wife has told me she would cut my head off too, but she was joking) or just in a fit of frustration. Words are words. They aren't harmful if you don't let them harm you. If the person actually means what they say and you know it, then that is different, but the circumstances I am talking about they don't, but the fact remains that they have said the words. I have been called all kinds of stuff growing up from all kinds of people. I don't sit around and cry about it. I just move on with my life. Work in any heavily male industry (especially the military) and you will be called all manner of things, sometimes they even mean it.

In fact I am willing to bet Bill Clinton, GWB, Carter, etc. have all called their wives some horrible things over the years also. Obama probably falls into that camp also. Actually Clinton had an affair that was all over the news. That is WAY worse than the whole c-word thing IMO, but people constantly try to defend his actions.

I don't want to sound like a McCain apologist, but there are plenty of other things to attack the guy on other than this (like, his policy for one) and they have much more bearing on how good of a president he will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
As for McCain's lack of respect of women. Who is running with a female VP candidate?
Maybe McCain would rather call other women vulgar names instead of his wife. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yup we is horrible people.

But have you seen this woman? She's like a 50s trophy wife. She just has to sit there, look pretty, and keep her mouth shut. Is that really showing respect for women?

I should also point out that the disparaging comment McCain made toward his wife was done so in front of reporters. Say what you want in private, but saying stuff like that in public near reporters is downright irresponsible, if not outright stupid.

Reaction score
But have you seen this woman? She's like a 50s trophy wife. She just has to sit there, look pretty, and keep her mouth shut. Is that really showing respect for women?

So now he is disrespectful to women because Sarah Palin is attractive? As to how well she can handle herself, we will find out during the VP debates. I will make a good portion of my opinion on how she handles herself there. From her stated policy I have to say I agree with her about 70-80% of the time. Some things she is for I am not big on. But I am a Libertarian forced to live in a Republican v. Democrat world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
McCain lies? I bet bill clinton taught him how to do that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I sure hope Palin performs better in the debates than in those tame interviews with Couric if she doesn't want to look even less inept than she already does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
one things for sure, no politician is going to solve all our problems. no matter how much they say they will.

they all look out for #1.... themselves... one major reason the US is going downhill. And fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.