Weekly/Monthly Need Tos?

Reaction score
hey guys im new here and i just got my first mac based laptop i got the black macbook. I was wondering, since I'm new to the world of macs, are there any important things i need to do weekly or monthly like maintenance, updates etc..?

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Welcome to both the world of Macs and to the forum.

1. Make sure you set up and use Time Machine
2. Get a copy of Disk Warrior and run it every couple of months to keep your file system in order
3. You can run a permissions repair via disk utility, but it's not a major thing as it only repairs permission on some items.
4. A copy of "The Missing Manual" by David Pogue is a great resource to have - he even includes a chapter on switching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Welcome to both the world of Macs and to the forum.
1. Make sure you set up and use Time Machine
4. A copy of "The Missing Manual" by David Pogue is a great resource to have - he even includes a chapter on switching.

Definitely do those two, free software like MainMenu will take care of general maintenance, tho OS X does a fairly good job of self maintaining

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
Can someone please tell me what the purpose of Disk Warrior? Sorry Im still a noob.

OP
P
Reaction score
yes can someone tell us the purpose of Disk Warrior and also I'm trying to setup time machine and its asking to find an apple wireless and i don't have time capsule so how can i back it up?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
yes can someone tell us the purpose of Disk Warrior and also I'm trying to setup time machine and its asking to find an apple wireless and i don't have time capsule so how can i back it up?

For time machine all you need is an external HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To get back to the original question maintenance scripts, daily weekly etc are pretty important. I use Macaroni, a cheap little utility that does all those thing automatically. It costs less that $10.00 and a 35 day free trial is available at:-

Macaroni | atomicbird

DiskWarrior is a utility designed to resolve all directory/hard drive damage by rebuilding the disk directory and repairs problems with directory blocaks, volume header, bit maps, catalog and extent trees.

For Leopard use version 4.1. Do not install the software, pop in the CD and boot holding down 'C'. Be patient it may take 10/15 minutes to boot up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.