Gamer wanting Mac for secondary laptop

P

PrimeRib

Call me a true computer nut. I've been building PC's for friends and family since I earned my A+ certification 4 years back and have a love for PC hardware, gadgets and "toys". I never thought about Apple until the iPod came along and I've been using it ever since. I fell in love with the design, the intuitiveness, the chic factor, iTunes, everything. Now, here I sit, day 8 of pouring through various message boards, websites and the like, dedicated to reading review upon review of the 12' iBook.

So far, I have a fine enough desktop, complete with the latest graphics card of which I play the latest and greatest PC games on each day. If it's a game on any medium with a review of over 80% chances are I own it and have played it (or beat it and sold it back via ebay) - diehard gamer here. Now I know getting the iBook is NOT for the purpose of playing games on the road. Although PC laptops have made huge leaps in terms of graphics capability, they've made huge sacrficies in terms of battery power - lasts an hour, if you're lucky. I picked up the Alienware for the sole purpose of bringing my game addition with me, when out of town. Yet when it comes time for a trip overseas or out of town and I don't feel like lugging 45 lbs of gaming goodness along with me, I want something that can accomodate these needs instead:
* long battery life, at least 5 hours
* something lightweight, small and compact

I'm also a bit of a writer, and have been wanting to be able to take my notebook wherever and whenever; to the park to sit and write, to trips home to check email and chat, etc... The Alienware can't hack it, the things weights friggin 10 lbs and lasts 45 min before it craps out!

Whats holding me back? Money's a bit tight, but I wouldnt be posting here if I could easily drop the idea altogether. I'm at a standstill between another cheap PC laptop and an Apple and at this point, all I can see are advantages in Apple's favor as far as:
* chic factor - those ibooks look absolutely hot!
* battery life - only thing I see lasting longer are the IBM thinkpads, and those are more expensive!
* chance to dive into Unix and the Apple OS, which I;ve heard so many good things about

I'm looking for posts to evaluate my decision making : I've settled on the 12' iBook because its small and cheap. The only thing I'd be using it for would be DVD watching, iTunes and writing. It is also very likely I will make the purchase as is for $999 and then pick up a stick of 512 memory at Crucial when I get a chance. AM I making the right decision with this laptop? Please, please let me know before I impulse buy. If there is another Apple I should be looking at, let me know.

I appreciate all comments.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
go to Apple Store online and look for this image in the lower right hand corner:

specialdeals_grey.gif

then snag yourself an apple refurbished laptop. comes with 1 year applecare and you can save a pretty penny. right now theres a 12" powerbook 1GHz (256MB/ 40GB/ Combo) for only $1099. the new models (1.33GHz) only have a 167MHz frontside bus, which is the same, or only slightly more than this one.

the iBook is nice, but the powerbook is more durable, supports more memory and is shiny

just my $2x10^-2

Reaction score
I'm was on the same boat as you. Die hard PC fan needing a sedondary laptop. I actually have a Toshiba M205 Tablet PC and think it's the most well thought out device ever made. Unfortunately the 2.5-3hr battery life was what kept it from being perfect. I needed something that will last longer on flights and multiple stops. Like you, I'm a writer as well. I've always been curious about the Mac computers since I have never owned one since the Apple IIe and read about the long lasting battery life of the iBooks. So to kill two birds with one stone, I went and got and and haven't regretted it since.

Also, here's a cheap plug. Check out my review on Notebookreview.com if you haven't done so already =) http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2142

OP
P

PrimeRib

soulreaver99 said:
I'm was on the same boat as you. Die hard PC fan needing a sedondary laptop. I actually have a Toshiba M205 Tablet PC and think it's the most well thought out device ever made. Unfortunately the 2.5-3hr battery life was what kept it from being perfect. I needed something that will last longer on flights and multiple stops. Like you, I'm a writer as well. I've always been curious about the Mac computers since I have never owned one since the Apple IIe and read about the long lasting battery life of the iBooks. So to kill two birds with one stone, I went and got and and haven't regretted it since.

Also, here's a cheap plug. Check out my review on Notebookreview.com if you haven't done so already =) http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2142

I haven't checked your link to the review out but I will once I get home.

More and more I read about the latest revisions on the ibook and powerbook line, I get all tingly and excited.

As for the earlier post recommending the PB over the ibook : although I appreciate the advice, I want the experience of owning a NEW mac! I'm most excited at the newness of it, the experience of the purchase. I know it shouldn't really matter but I was thoroughly impressed with the iPod and want that giddy excitement of being the first person to open that new notebook, open the package, enjoy that "new 'puter smell" etc... ;)
As far as PB features over the ibook, they don't blow me away that much. Sure the video card in the 12' PB is better, but again, I'm NOT getting the lappy for the sake of playing ANY games on it (though I know darn well, I'll attempt to play as many as I can) - its not the SOLE or MAIN or even SECONDARY reason for this potential purchase. I just want something lightweight, something small, portable, with exceptional battery life and pure style. If PB is STILL the choice over ibook, I'd love to hear more opinions...

Thanks again All!

OP
P

PrimeRib

PrimeRib said:
I haven't checked your link to the review out but I will once I get home.

More and more I read about the latest revisions on the ibook and powerbook line, I get all tingly and excited.

As for the earlier post recommending the PB over the ibook : although I appreciate the advice, I want the experience of owning a NEW mac! I'm most excited at the newness of it, the experience of the purchase. I know it shouldn't really matter but I was thoroughly impressed with the iPod and want that giddy excitement of being the first person to open that new notebook, open the package, enjoy that "new 'puter smell" etc... ;)
As far as PB features over the ibook, they don't blow me away that much. Sure the video card in the 12' PB is better, but again, I'm NOT getting the lappy for the sake of playing ANY games on it (though I know darn well, I'll attempt to play as many as I can) - its not the SOLE or MAIN or even SECONDARY reason for this potential purchase. I just want something lightweight, something small, portable, with exceptional battery life and pure style. If PB is STILL the choice over ibook, I'd love to hear more opinions...

Thanks again All!

Oh yeah, another very important question:
Anyone purchase their Apple online using Apple's preferred lenders? If so, any further experiences would be great - I have to wait for the 2004 Tax Returns before I can make the 12' iBook purchase, although I was hoping to hear good things about it. If I did finance, I'd be able to pay off the notebook within 2 or 3 months, essentially when I got the tax returns anyway.

Experiences?

OP
P

Phiber

PrimeRib said:
Oh yeah, another very important question:
Anyone purchase their Apple online using Apple's preferred lenders? If so, any further experiences would be great - I have to wait for the 2004 Tax Returns before I can make the 12' iBook purchase, although I was hoping to hear good things about it. If I did finance, I'd be able to pay off the notebook within 2 or 3 months, essentially when I got the tax returns anyway.

Experiences?

It's a credit card with a horrible interest rate. Yes, that's how I am getting my 12" (note, they don't make a 12 foot iBook. At least not on this planet) iBook. The iBook also looks very durable; I have owned and broken two Compaq's. Same ailment; screen backing broke. :( Screw Compaq. :)

The only thing I don't like about the iBook is its lack of PC card slot.. I am a heavy mobile data user. In fact, that's the only way I get on the internet, pretty much. I am not looking forward to pairing to a Bluetooth phone, honestly. :)

OP
P

PrimeRib

Phiber said:
It's a credit card with a horrible interest rate. Yes, that's how I am getting my 12" (note, they don't make a 12 foot iBook. At least not on this planet) iBook. The iBook also looks very durable; I have owned and broken two Compaq's. Same ailment; screen backing broke. :( Screw Compaq. :)

The only thing I don't like about the iBook is its lack of PC card slot.. I am a heavy mobile data user. In fact, that's the only way I get on the internet, pretty much. I am not looking forward to pairing to a Bluetooth phone, honestly. :)

What kind of rate did you get? I've noticed rates on avg, of 17% which sounds about avg for a credit card. I wasn't expecting the best rate, just looking for a way to get the Apple I want now, and be able to make a large payment (if not all of it) come February or March later this year. I'd wait but I want to take advantage and use the Educator discount, plus I could really use the laptop before I move up to DC in mid February...
I figured payments would be rather cheap with an estimated 17% rate and the amount I plan to put down once the tax return drops in April...

OP
P

PrimeRib

I did it!

PrimeRib said:
What kind of rate did you get? I've noticed rates on avg, of 17% which sounds about avg for a credit card. I wasn't expecting the best rate, just looking for a way to get the Apple I want now, and be able to make a large payment (if not all of it) come February or March later this year. I'd wait but I want to take advantage and use the Educator discount, plus I could really use the laptop before I move up to DC in mid February...
I figured payments would be rather cheap with an estimated 17% rate and the amount I plan to put down once the tax return drops in April...

Dragged roommate to the Apple Store, got the $50 discount and got the credit card, charged a new 12' iBook and have been playing with it ever since.

Things are very different in Mac World - still trying to get used to looking up to the top right window for settings/preferences for all programs instead of right clicking on the icon in system tray, - resizing windows was a trip as well. Overall, I'm impressed and look forward to taking this sucker everywhere (esp since the battery life is so much LONGER than the Alienware I have, I'm not AFRAID to take it with me!!)

Thanks for the words of advice. A happy Apple owner (until the first bill arrives) ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.