boot camp and i are not getting a long

Reaction score
i am trying to install windows xp on a mac mini via BC. i set the drive space aside in the boot camp assistant, restarted to install, formatted the partition, then copied the set up files to the partition. then it reboots, and wants to do it again! and again! and again! it never gets to the gui setup, and if you don't do that, it'll just say the OS will not boot. press any key to restart. any key will not restart.

how do i get back into the mac os?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot, or shut it down and power up. Hold down the Option key. You'll be given a choice of booting either to your Macintosh HD or Windows. Select (move the arrow) to your Mac HD and press enter.

When Windows wants to reboot are you allowing it to reboot from the CD? If you do nothing, press no keys, what happens? Also, are you using a full install Windows XP SP2 CD?

Regards.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, I can get back to mac hd fine thanks to the previous poster but i have windows xp installed and when i go into the windows one it says this:

Press any key to boot from disk
Disk error
Press any key to restart

does anyone know what is going on here? When I installed windows there was a part where it had me choose a drive and if i wanted to format it. I chose the one labeled [BOOTCAMP]. I didnt format it. Was that the right drive to pick and was I supposed to format it? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm having the same problem, I can get back to mac hd fine thanks to the previous poster but i have windows xp installed and when i go into the windows one it says this:

Press any key to boot from disk
Disk error
Press any key to restart

does anyone know what is going on here? When I installed windows there was a part where it had me choose a drive and if i wanted to format it. I chose the one labeled [BOOTCAMP]. I didnt format it. Was that the right drive to pick and was I supposed to format it? thanks

you need to do a full format (not a quick format) when given the option

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
As mrplow said, you must do a full "NTFS or FAT32" format. FAT32 will be read by both Macintosh OSX and MS Windows, so you wouldn't need any 3rd party software to WRITE to the windows volume while you're on Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.