Question about networking.

Reaction score
I have connected my new Imacs as follows:
Imac 1 connected to broadband directly through the cable modem.

Imac 2 connects to Imac 1 through the build in Airport and that is how it gets the Internet connection.

Every time I reboot Imac 1, Imac 2 loses connection and I have to go through multiple manipulations (turning on and off) to reestablish connection.
Should I go through a Router? If so G or N?

The two computers are at different levels of the house. I did use a router with PC's but after the switch, Imac 2 was having problems with the router as well.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Get an N router. AirPort Extreme would probably be your best bet.

The reason you lose connection is, because if I'm correct you're sharing your internet connection with your other iMac, so one uses the other to connect. That means when the host Mac goes off, the other loses connection because the other is no longer connected to the internet. If that seems a little bit unclear let me help you:

1. iMac one shares connection with iMac B.
2. When iMac one goes off it is no longer connected to the internet.
3. iMac B has nowhere to connect because it can't find an internet access point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Get any router really, lol, will solve all your problems. N is obviously 'better' than G, but hey.

Airport Express or Extreme could be easier, what with having two Macs, but ultimately it makes naff-all difference on the brand.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I know if Mac A is off Mac B does not have connection. My problem is that after Mac A is back on line, Mac B does not connect automatically, I have to turn off and on the Airport several times.
I did connect with a router before (G) and it does the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You have to tell iMac B to automatically connect to the network you desire.

On iMac B:

System Prefs > Network > Advanced > Preferred Networks > Add the Network that iMac A creates.

Make sure you check the box to remember the network the machine has connected too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Also, if you want to see the pass click show password. Easier to remember it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
try checking you energy saver settings in the System Preferences. If iMac 1 os going to sleep because it is not in use then that will shut off the airport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.