Need some help--Macbook, D-Link Router, DLS--can't connect via airport

Reaction score
AT & T DSL, D-Link router, can't connect wirelessly
Hi! I think I've got a similar problem to sleepy_monkey. I'm so lost and I've tried too many things (hopefully I haven't messed anything up!). If anyone can impart some knowledge, I'd appreciate it! I have set up DSL/modems/routers before, but am fairly new to the Mac world. You can just assume that I know nothing useful

Here's the info:

AT & T DSL with their Motorola modem, hooked to a
D-Link 514 router (It was my roommate's--is there a chance that it's just to old to work with my system?), attached to my
Macbook (OS 10.4.11)

I followed both the DSL and router set-up instructions, which worked fine. If I connect the ethernet cable directly from the modem to the computer, the internet connection works fine. If I go through the router and connect the ethernet cable from the router to the computer, I have an internet connection as well. This is where I'm lost: how do I set up the router so that I can access the internet via my airport?

I can give more info as needed--I'm not sure what is pertinent at this point.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
OP
A
Reaction score
Still lost . . .

Thanks for the links! I have the DI-514 router (I know, it's old). Really I think the problem may be that I don't know what to do to set up the airport network. I've searched several forums but have yet to find an answer that solves the problem for me. You mentioned turning off the DHCP on the modem?? Would I go back through the installation process to do that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Find out the IP address of the modem and you should be able to turn it off there. Make sure that it is turned on on your router. That's how it worked for me, as I recall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.