Super stressed..

Reaction score
I have just purchased my first Mac and i am having problem after problem with no one right now able to help me!

My issue is this.

I have had to install a new router and i want to download AOL. I have so far installed the NETGEAR router...but..when trying to download AOL its telling me that the modem isn't found.

I've contacted netgear who say the router is obviously working fine, so its not their problem. I have called AOL and they won't help me because i have installed a new router on a mac, both of which they don't know anything about and my last port of call is here....

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You have AOL broadband?

Was it set up with your Mac before you got the router? What exactly is the whole set up you've got going?

OP
S
Reaction score
I am TRYING to install AOL broadband with the CD, but its just not happening. Also i have downloaded Mozilla and it keeps disappearing from the desktop when i shut down. Why would this be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Have you actually installed Mozilla (ie, copied it to your Applications folder)?

Right, so you stick the AOL disk in and what happens?

OP
S
Reaction score
It says the modem cannot be found.

How to i transfer mozilla to the applications file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, IPad 2 , IPhone 4
Do you have a firewall on?

Every time that I have had a problem with a router or modem, I turn the firewall off...get it going...then turn the firewall back on...

EricE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
It says the modem cannot be found.

How to i transfer mozilla to the applications file?

Every time you sir download a program, some kind of a disk appears on your desktop. All you should do is open that disk, of course you will see the Icon and name of the program you downloaded so you can double click and open it, instead just drag it into the 'Applications' folder if it's in the same window. You can also just single click the Icon of the program you downloaded 'inside the disk', copy it and paste it in the Applications folder.

Keyboard shortcuts:

Copy is command + C

Paste is command + V

Just gave you the above tips since you are a new Macintosh user, just like myself.

There is a keyboard shortcut to open the Applications folder, but I guess the easier way for new users is to open 'Macintosh HD' on the desktop, then double click the Applications folder. :]

Reaction score
It is not very clear what you are trying to achieve here. I'd suggest that you let Firefox out of the topic and let's focus on the AOL ...

What do you mean by "install AOL" ? It looks like your internet connection is already set up, so what do you exactly need AOL for ?

Tex

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
also, who is your internet service provider, is it actually aol or are you piggybacking aol on someone else (like comcast or att)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I agree with louishen- your settings are likely set for dial-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.