• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi to DVD

G

gabe90

I need to know how to burn an .avi file onto a DVD with Toast. How do I do that?

I've been using ffmpegx and following the guide at videohelp.com but I'm not having much luck. The guide says that I'll end up with two files, one audio and one video, but I only get one mpg file and when I burn it it isn't recognized at all by my did player. Any tips? All help is greatly appreciated obviously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
use divx doctor 2 to convert to a .mov, then use ffmpegx or quicktime pro to convert to an mpeg, then burn in the video tab of toast as a dvd. alternately, in ffmpegx, you can click the button to create as a video_ts and audio_ts folders and burn that as a data cd(udf) in toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in the tools tab is where I mention above, its called "author as video_ts and audio_ts or something like that. and welcome to mac-forums.
BTW:if youre on a mac, you shoulda been getting help here to begin with IMHO.

OP
D

Danster

hmm dvix doc 2 doesn't seem to convert my avi can't i just export the avi to a .mov?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, divx dr. 'repairs' and realigns avi's craptastic built in flaws, avi is simply a wrapper
for other formats so idiotic divx player to play things like mpeg and .mov.
avi is inherently bad, misaligned audio and video is a main flaw.

OP
G

gabe90

Thanks MacMan. I actually posted here because I had seen some of your posts, and was hoping you could be helpful to me as well. So take that as a compliment if you will. Anyways, too late to try it out now, but I will tomorrow, and I'll post again if I have any futher questions. Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gabe90 said:
Thanks MacMan. I actually posted here because I had seen some of your posts, and was hoping you could be helpful to me as well. So take that as a compliment if you will. Anyways, too late to try it out now, but I will tomorrow, and I'll post again if I have any futher questions. Thanks again
thanks, I will take it as a compliment.

OP
G

gabe90

When I author it as a DVD, do I still need to change the quick presets, or can I leave them as is? If so, what setting do I set them to?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gabe90 said:
When I author it as a DVD, do I still need to change the quick presets, or can I leave them as is? If so, what setting do I set them to?

Thanks again.
you dont need to change quick presets if you set your desired settings in the video and audio tab,which most of the time dont need much changing except what format to convert to. as far as the 'author as video_ts, its under the tools tab, view the screenshot, its where the arrow is on my screen.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
G

gabe90

Sorry to continue being such a noob, but I'm still having dificulty.

I've just had the most success I've had so far, but something is strange. I ran an avi file throught ffmpegx and selected author it as a video_ts optiion under tools. In the video tab I also changed the selected format to mpeg2 [.mpg](ffmpegx). By default this option was set to mpeg4[.avi](mencoder). I don't know if this is what format I want it to end uo in or what format I have.

Anyways, I got two different things when if was over. I got a document of 1.3GB and I got a file that has audio_ts and video_ts files in it. Sounds good, but the audio file is empty, and the video file has a file in it that is in .vob format.

Last thing, the progress report on ffmpegx had about 1,000 lines of "make sure file header is set to 18 bytes" or something like that.

Anyways, that's as much detail as I can provide. Again sorry to be so dependant, but I'm pretty confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
first, use divx doctor 2 to convert the avi to a .mov, then add the .mov to ffmpegx, and that quick preset thing is your destination format with a default set of options selected.

OP
S

sivp

Use compressor.. It gives you the best quality and everything,, And all ready to burn..

OP
G

gabe90

Got it working. Thanks a lot MacMan and everyone that helped.

Sorry to keep this going, but I have one more question. If I have many files tha I want to put onto one DVD, how would I do that after converting them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well toast can create dvd menus for multiple .mov files, so you can select the right film with your dvd remote. I'd imagine you'd need to do something like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Well toast can create dvd menus for multiple .mov files, so you can select the right film with your dvd remote. I'd imagine you'd need to do something like that...
yea, thats the best way, just make sure you put them in the order you want them in the menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.