Printing to windows printer

J

jra0500

I have a canon i860 photo printer which is attached to my windows pc and shared on my network. Of course I want to print to it from my new iBook through the network.

I have installed the driver from Canon and the iBook sees the printer through the USB port. Unfortunately I want to print through the network, so off to the printer config utility I go. I choose windows printer, browse to the PC, and highlight the share canoni860, but the printer model does not show up in the printer list.

Being a long time windows users I immediately thought to select "other" and navigate to the .DMG file, but all I found was a Package file I used to install the software to the USB Port.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Jeffrey R. Anderson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Is the printer set to share on the windows computer?

Should be able to right click on it and go to either Sharing or Preferences which should have a sharing tab

OP
J

jra0500

printing

Yes, the PC is sharing the printer, and my Windows Notebook can print to it just fine. I can actually SEE the printer, but the driver for the canon i860 does not appear in the printer model list. I know the printer driver is installed because if I plug the printer in to the USB port it works fine. When I choose add printer I can see the pinwheel with a status saying "searching for new drivers", but I can't see that it ever finds the i860 driver.

Jeffrey R. Anderson

OP
G

gesteves

jra0500 said:
Yes, the PC is sharing the printer, and my Windows Notebook can print to it just fine. I can actually SEE the printer, but the driver for the canon i860 does not appear in the printer model list. I know the printer driver is installed because if I plug the printer in to the USB port it works fine. When I choose add printer I can see the pinwheel with a status saying "searching for new drivers", but I can't see that it ever finds the i860 driver.

Jeffrey R. Anderson

I had the same problem with my Epson C63 and I solved it by downloading the latest gimp-print drivers from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

OP
J

jra0500

Windows Printing

gesteves said:
I had the same problem with my Epson C63 and I solved it by downloading the latest gimp-print drivers from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Actually I already tried this, but gimp-print does not support my printer. This is truely torture, because the darn driver is in there somewhere laughing at me! I have an entry in my printer list for it and it would work if I wanted to use USB, but that is not exactly convenient.

Jeffrey R. Anderson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.