MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
So I've decided to become a 'switcher' as I buy my first laptop. I've been using Windows all my life, and I've recently realized that OS X fits my tastes much better than Vista.

So I'm trying to decide if I should buy the $1300 MacBook (upgraded to a 250 GB HDD, so essentially $1400) or shell out the extra cash for the cheapest MacBook Pro. Is there really much of a difference between the two?

As far as laptops go, I actually prefer the smaller 13.3" screen to the 15" one. The only other difference I can see is the color (and again, I prefer the white) and the mention of a video card in the 'Pro. I don't really do much gaming anymore. So, would I be right in choosing the standard MacBook over the Pro? Is there something I'm missing?

Reaction score
If you don't need the screen, and don't need the graphics card, then go for the macbook.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you don't need the screen, and don't need the graphics card, then go for the macbook.

Aye very true. Plus the smaller size means it's a lot lighter as well, more mobile. I let my friend who has a MBP 17" carry my Macbook around and she was so surprised on how light it was. She wants one now. ^-^"

The HDD is a lot easier to install in the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't know, the weight difference between my 15" MBP and my wifes whitebook is not significant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
the mb is actually thicker than the mbp
mb--1.08 inch the mbp--1.0 inch :D
and about the weight the mbp is 5.4 pounds mb is 5.0 pounds so i think you wouldnt even feel the 0.4 pounds difference when u carry it..i think as they weight nearly the same why not have the bigger screen,better performance and better build quality if the price difference is not a big issue for you..by the way the backlit keyboard is awesome ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD
Personally i think you should go with the MacBook. Because from what you describe i think that fits you.
Weight-wise i'd go with shadyboi, but looking at other things, i think macbooks now are pretty fast and does the job if you're not a hardcore user.

OP
T
Reaction score
Personally i think you should go with the MacBook. Because from what you describe i think that fits you.
Weight-wise i'd go with shadyboi, but looking at other things, i think macbooks now are pretty fast and does the job if you're not a hardcore user.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the MacBook. For what I'd be using it for, the MacBook would be better and cheaper at the same time. I don't think I really have much choice anymore :D

Reaction score
If you can't justify the MBP, go with the Macbook. All of my friends are _very_ happy with theirs (college students, so we know it's good for at least word processing and pr0n).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Toadie;

I'm going to throw my vote in for the MacBook as well. I picked one up in February and absolutely love it. Unless you plan on doing some heavy video editing or any gaming, the MacBook will suit your needs more than adequately. I use mine for web browsing, e-mail, media, and some word processing, and I can tell you that it is a very capable machine in all those regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.