Locked Down Macbook - cannot log in

Reaction score
Hi
Hoping someone could give me so advice - here's the problem.

My wife has had her macbook rebuilt at work so that she can access the school's network etc (she's a teacher).

She has forgotten her password - so no problem put in the osx installer disc, hold down the c key and reset - nope. On startup it will not boot from disc. Next plan was to restart macbook hold down option key and get startup menu - wrong again. I get a a symbol in the shape of a lock with a password box below.

So the IT support guys have locked down the macbook so i cant do anything - anyway i can get around this?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
if its her macbook why did they lock her out? I would be contacting them.

it's possible they password protected the firmware so you cant boot from external disks (for tighter security). if thats the case, that password is the only way in that I know of.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Been searching around and have come to the conclusion they have locked down the firmware. My wife got the macbook back today and her password was just random letters which i think she has just plain forgotten. She will have to get it reset by the school admins and ask questions about how they have set her mac up . .was kinda looking forward to 'playing' with it this weekend and get XP installed etc - they have moved to macs from PC's but she needs windows only software (Publisher, MS Excel with macros etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.