• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Front Row help for newbie needed.

Reaction score
I haven't really had a Mac long enough to be posting questions, but I am stuck on a (probably very simple) problem that I have surfed high and low for with no luck - either that or I am not recognizing the answer when I see it. My Missing Manual book (recommended by the Apple rep that gave the demo that got me started) doesn't even mention the app I want to use.

I have a new Mini bought for the purpose of being a video/dvd server. It will replace a Linux/MythTV box that works ok, but has nowhere near the polish and simplicity of Front Row. That and the fact that a Linux geek (me) can take from an hour to a weekend configuring MythTV. User friendly it is most definitely not. On the other hand, I have proved that a new Mac user with a whole 10 minutes of experience can be watching a DVD on a big screen TV before the little box even warms up.

Here is the setup. I have a very large Linux server with 4 one t-byte drives filled with videos. My new Mini can see the shared folders and videos on the server just fine (and every other shared folder on the network). I can drag and drop a movie over the network to the Mini and play it. So the connections work ok.

I want to browse the server for a movie from the Mac, click with the remote, and start watching. Plain ordinary movie server setup that Front Row does very well, locally. But Front Row (apparently) will not look outside of it's hard coded movie folder, or the DVD drive, for media. However, the very small help section on Front Row seems to indicate that playing from an external source is no problem - it just doesn't discuss how.

The hits I got googling, indicate that I need to make an alias for the shared drive and drop it into the imovies folder that FR defaults to. I have done that but FR doesn't see it. The alias is there and when I click on it I get the remote contents.

Another says to drop an alias of the /volume folder into imovie and that /volume has icons for all drives - local and shared. However, mine only has the Mac hard drive. The shared icons are somewhere else.

Anybody got any hints for a hard core Linux geek who is becoming very impressed with this Mini/Leopard thingie?

Thanks anyone

Konan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.