• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS-C to DVD

Reaction score
I have a new Macbook Pro (2.4 GHz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200 rpm HD) and a bunch of old VHS-C home videos. I would like to somehow get them onto DVD's to preserve them. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, so any info would help a lot. What will I need to buy/download and what do I do with it? Also, I work at Best Buy so if there are any materials I need that I can get there let me know so I can save some $. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
You can buy a DVD recorder/player for the T.V. and plug and record, or use Dazzle. I used the first route, I found it easier, and it didn't tie down my MBP

Reaction score
VHSC to DVD

Unless you have the original VHSC camcorder then my advice would be to send it to a Video to DVD service company. I sent mine not long ago to these Superior Video to DVD Transfer here. However before you do you need to make a choice:

1. Transfer the vhsc to dvd
2. Transfer it to AVI

It you are a newbie to this then go for DVD that way you can use standard MAC controls to RIP the DVD (get it onto your desktop for editing)

With AVI service you need some more editing skills -0 search the forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Although a firewire device such as the pyro link is probably a better choice because video editing software such as iMovie should be able to read the input, many people have used devices such as the Elgato EyeTV.

The non firewire devices may require an extra conversion to get the content into iMovie for basic editing.

This subject has been discussed many times it the 'Movies and Video' section here. Search for something like 'convert vhs'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.