OS X 10 on a strawberry?

Reaction score
I tried to search this answer out previous to posting, but I didnt find what I was looking for. I'm new to the mac world of things, but enjoying the learning and features Ive discovered thus far. Thank you netboot! LOL.

Any how, I am a site admin for a school district in AZ. I have a classroom that was given strawberry's this past summer. Fortunately for us we upgraded to OS X 10.5 this summer as well. Unfortunately for them, they are running 9.1. They can not connect to the internet at this time, and the only thing I can find that is different between them and every other iMac or eMac on campus is the 9.1 OS.

Is it possible to upgrade and run 10.0.1 or higher on these machines? The specs I gathered from the "About this Mac" are as follows:

6gb HDD - ~4.5GB free
160mb RAM (The Mac site says it only has 64, but might have been upgraded?)
Virtual Memory OFF

And I believe it has the 400mhz G3. I don't have any info on the video card, sound card, or other periph's.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer? Thanks.

Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
10.2;

* Supported Computers PowerMac G3, G4, early PowerMac G5, iMac, eMac, PowerBook G3 or G4, or iBook computer

* Amount of RAM Required: 128 megabytes (Although 256MB to 512MB is highly recommended by many people who have used Mac OS X v10.2.8 as the real amount of RAM used when only the Operating System is running is around 200MB, but it can be run with as low as 96 MB)

* Processor Type: PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 running at 233mhz or higher.

looks like you could, here's where i found all the specs;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=os+x+requirements&ns0=1&fulltext=Search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
and heres 10.0

* Supported Computers: Power Macintosh G3, G3 B&W, G4, G4 Cube, iMac, PowerBook G3, PowerBook G4, iBook (The original "Kanga" PowerBook G3 was the only G3-based Mac not to be supported by Mac OS X).
* RAM required:
o 64 MB minimum
o 128 MB recommended
* Hard Drive Space: 1.5 gigabytes
o 800 MB for the minimal install

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. They are basically only wanting to use it for internet access and to have a word-like program.

Cheers.

Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try scouring the lowendmac site, a wealth of informations, IMO you would be best upgrading the ram and going for tiger, there is more application support for 10.4, but 10.3 panther is also an option

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/md07/1207.html

Reaction score
If you find that you can install Panther or Tiger (Small HD size and maximum amount of RAM could be issues) then I would personally go with Panther.

I am speaking from experience with an iMac DV+ (Slightly better specs than yours but similar. It had 450 mhz processor, 256MB RAM installed, 20GB HD).

I upgraded it to Panther (10.3) from System 9 and it worked well and was fairly quick (About on par as under OS9, or possibly even slighter quicker).

However, when I later put Tiger (10.4) on it, the extra resource requirements made it run like a slug. It works but it is not a very pleasant experience.

If you do upgrade to OSX make sure that you have the latest version of OS9 (9.2.2 I think) and also the latest firmware for your particular machine (Downloads from Apple).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.