• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVR to DVD without commercials Help

B

bobkeenan

I would like to take some of the shows that I record on my DVR and put them on DVD without the commercials But I need some help and advice. I have a DVD recorder connected to the DVR. So I burned a TV show that I had recorded.

Now I have a DVD with a Video_TS folder.

Is there any Mac software that would allow me to edit this as is (removing commercials) and end up with a Video_TS folder that I can then use Toast to burn back on?

I have a cool program called MPEG streamclip that will read the folder and I can edit (cut out the commercials) and then save it in many different formats but not .vob files. I have done that and now have a 120 min mpeg that is about 2.8 GB. When I drag this in to Toast it does an encoding and results in a 5 + GB movie that is to big to burn on a DVD!!

I then tried to have toast make an image file of the mpeg but it fails for some reason. I have now converted it to a DV file but its now 14 GB. I am now trying to convert it to an image file and will see if I can get toast to burn that.

But there has to be an easier way??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you should be able to use forty two dvd vxplus to convert from .vob to .avi, and then use divx doctor 2 to convert the avi into a .mov, dit it, reconvert to an avi via quicktime pro or something, then use the above mentioned app to convert that .avi into .vob, create your own video ts folder, and burn it. also, use dvd2onex, its great for compression. or use roxio popcorn which has built in compression, not as good as dvd2onex, but close.
what tv show is it?

OP
B

bobkeenan

Macman said:
you should be able to use forty two dvd vxplus to convert from .vob to .avi, and then use divx doctor 2 to convert the avi into a .mov, dit it, reconvert to an avi via quicktime pro or something, then use the above mentioned app to convert that .avi into .vob, create your own video ts folder, and burn it. also, use dvd2onex, its great for compression. or use roxio popcorn which has built in compression, not as good as dvd2onex, but close.
what tv show is it?

Thanks.... 42 dvd vxplus looks like it only works on 10.3. I guess I should break down and upgrade. The TV show was the the old "War of the Worlds". One of my favorite Sci Fi Classics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.