Why Can't I Download MP3's??

Reaction score
I just bought my Mac a couple of weeks ago and I'm only having one problem- if I try to access any MP3 or Sibelius Scorch files through Safari, they don't load. My iTunes is working fine, as is my Sibelius program as a whole, but those files just won't load.

I'm a music grad student, and much of my work is listening to files that my professors post online. The Quicktime files are downloading, and I loaded the VLA Media Player in order to access .avi and .wma files- could the VLA be messing with my MP3 player?

I tried to download the same files on a PC, and it worked. What's my problem?

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried dragging them into the programs, but they still don't load. Maybe I'm not doing it the right way. How do you really save a file without having a two button mouse? When I click on the files, I just get an error message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you have a two button mouse, you just need to enable it in System Preferences Keyboard and Mouse. Or you hold down control and click on it.

Try saving one that way and see if it plays once dragged into iTunes. You can also right click and open with, then select whatever. VLC shouldn't have a problem playing valid mp3's though.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's still not downloading- I tried saving the files iTunes and dragging them to VLC, but it says the files don't exist. It just seems odd that the files exist on PC but not on my computer.

Thanks for your suggestions- the two-button thing is a huge relief!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if they've been downloaded from safari, they should be in your downloads folder. Are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hrm, have you used terminal before? I'm trying to get more of a feel for what you're encountering and I haven't seen that error before. What I'd like to do is have you open terminal, then type

ls -lh Downloads

then copy and paste the whole line the mp3 file is on, it should look like this...

-rwx------ 1 mike staff 4.9M Aug 30 2007 X - Live At The Whiskey A Go-Go - Johnny Hit And Run Pauline.mp3

OP
R
Reaction score
hm... it's not showing up in terminal but it is still showing up in downloads.
Here's the exact message in the downloads file: 0 bytes of ?- file doesn't exist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, right click on Downloads and click on get info. What permissions do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Have you tried downloading them thorough Firefox? Just to rule out problems with Safari and its DL manager ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.