Do I have this right?

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I bought a refurb mac mini that a small business owner had used in office. It also came with 2 years apple care =)

Anyway, set it up, fooled around a bit to try to get a hang of things since its my first mac.

Ive been reading and searching the forums for a bit, and I just want to see if I understand things here, as well as ask a couple small questions.

1) When you download an application, you have to drag the program icon to the applications folder first? What are the exact steps to cleanly installing a program such as winrar, or unrarx?

The only reason I ask is because last night I tried downloading winrar for mac os x, and I was prompted to choose an application to open the file with..

2) When I had a pc, I used firefox and I could set it to clear my history when I closed it completely. I didnt see an option for that in the mac os x version.
Did I just not look hard enough?

Sorry for bringing up overly asked questions, but I searched to the best of my ability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
1) Most applications you download will be in a .dmg format. Double click this and usually a new window opens up. Most apps say "Drag this icon to you applications folder" (the icon being the icon for the new app in the new window). You then drag it across and thats it. Others require installation (much like windows). In this case you will see a little package type box, double click it and the install wizard thing comes up.
Whats the extention on the file you downloaded then? Stuffit Expander is also a good alternative to the two you mentioned.

2) Firefox > Preferences > Privacy Tab, then down the bottom. (Firefox V3.0.1)

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffit.html
(It's the one to the right of the big yellow thing as you scroll down, the free version).

OP
D
Reaction score
Well just today I downloaded frostwire, double clicked on the .dmg file, then a frostwire box popped up, so I opened up my applications folder, dragged the frostwire icon into the applications folder, and let it install

However when I double click frostwire from my applications, all I see is the frostwire icon bouncing a few times in the dock, then it disappears

It never opens

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, that's definitely odd. I just download Frostwire to test it and it installed fine and loaded up fine.
When the .dmg opens, frostwire come with an Applications folder alias (similar to a shortcut)... uninstall frostwire (drag the application icon from your applications folder into the trash, and emtpy it, then open the .dmg, and drag the frostwire icon into the applications alias which is in the same window.

Also, what version of OS X are you running? Click the mac logo at the top left of your screen, then go to About This Mac.

Also (again), if you are downloading torrents, may i suggest Transmission. Its extremely simple, fast and very easy to use.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer me,

However I've concluded that something is very wrong with my mac
It no longer recognizes that my mouse and monitor are connected.
As a matter of fact, I dont believe that it turns on properly

When I press the power button I dont hear the mac jingle, however the white light turns on

Thankfully it came with apple care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, id definitely take it in for a checkup. However, the mac jingle plays at the volume the computer was set at when it was turned off. i.e. if the computer was on mute when you turned it off you wont hear the jingle when you turn it on. just something to bear in mind.

OP
D
Reaction score
Alright well I took it in for servicing last week, they checked everything out, no hardware issues to worry about.

They ran diagnostic tests and kept it over the weekend, called me today and said that its software issues

Anyway, I went to pick it up, and asked them to hook it up to a monitor and keyboard to see if it worked, and it worked beautifully.

Now I just hope that it works when I get home

*crosses fingers*

If its just software issues, what could it be thats causing it to act like this?
Just a bad install?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.