Should I get a Mac?

Reaction score
I'm caught in a dilemma between Mac and PC. I figured if anywhere I should go here for answers. I'll give you a bit of background on what I do and then I'd appreciate suggestions. I'm a college student majoring in Computer Technology, which at my school is a mix of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. My career choice I'm not sure on yet. I was considering Systems Analyst. I'd use my laptop for web design, programming, and occasionally gaming (WoW, Half-Life 2, etc..) I'd like a decent sized screen so I was considering a Macbook Pro. Price isn't too much of a factor, I am more concerned with what would last me longer in my education choice. Which one would benefit me more.

Once again I would appreciate any suggestions, especially from people close to my field.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm a former systems administrator, systems engineer and now work in hardware engineering. In my opinion it really doesn't matter, you can use either. I've worked in the same job in both environments and over all working in a unix environment it really is easier for me to use a Mac, simply because I don't have to 'change environments' at any point in time. Terminal is bash, and well.. I'm pretty comfortable there.

Now, what is your focus going to be? Are you working more with windows software engineering or more on the *nix side (if nothing else as a personal choice).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Not if you plan on gaming a lot. It would be more cost effective to buy a non-Apple notebook and install a Linux partition on it, since you'd end up paying nothing extra for an operating system, whereas with the Mac you'd have to spend extra money to get Windows for gaming. The faulty 8600M video card in the MacBook Pro could also go bad on you at any moment, so it's an added peace of mind to have a notebook that doesn't have that particular piece of hardware if you're going to push the video card frequently.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
the video card is in lots of portables including the mac

Well most games are usually for Windows and you have to install Windows on your Mac to play them. It's just more of a hassle.

The hardware isn't the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with all of the above answers. But to me the main question is do you think you'll ever need OS X? Because hardware wise the PC and Mac notebooks will end up being roughly the same.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The environments I'll be working in will probably be mixed between Windows and Unix. I do favor the OS X environment over Vista in terms of visual aspects and usability. I already own copies of Vista and XP so thats not an issue. My only concern is getting a Mac and then having to use Windows more for programming classes, software, and games. Although the new version of VMware Fusion seems to go towards fixing this problem.

Reaction score
I am a freshman enrolled in CS this year, and I did run into a very slight problem of needing visual studio on my mac, but i easily overcame it by using boot camp. Also as a CS (computer science) student, I get free copies of XP, vista, visual studio, etc...and so will you.

XP runs extremely well using boot camp. I can run everthing fast and there are no compatability issues. I strongly recommend getting a mac. I bought an HP over the summer, for college, and it broke a week before school started, so we returned it, went to best buy, and got my macbook. I fell in love with it.

I honestly can not see how anyone can deal with owning a computer that isnt a mac. Apple is truly a great, reliable company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Well, from a level headed viewpoint, you can put Windows on it. That's safe.

A lot of people do prefer OS X - there are all sorts of ways in which it is nicer to use and more intuitive.

But, since you're not buying a washing machine here, what does your heart think? The language you've used in your OP, and your potential occupation, makes me think you're more of a level headed guy. How about breaking out of that mould?

Spend some time looking through the OS X pages on the Apple site. If it seem exciting and makes your mouth water, then that's what it's all about.

If it does nothing for you, you'd probably be best sticking with a PC laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.