Heavy PC user... 3rd day with my new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
So, here is my story. I woke up Saturday morning, and my second dell HD had melted down in the last month... I have 2 dell laptops, one torn apart, one with a bad HD. I couldnt take it anymore...literally had a meltdown... called my buddy that works at Mac and told him to take me to the apple store... I am getting a MAC....

I literally had never worked on one before... but I wanted to get into video editing, and I do a ton of work with Audio at work... its been a struggle, but I am getting the hang of it...

I have found the tutorials to be very helpful...but I guess the one thing I am dying without is adobe audition... Protools seems to be my only option?

new specs (which I know nothing about haha)

2.4 intel core 2
2gb ddr2
200 gb hd
15.4 screen

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
You can still run Audition using either boot camp or a virtual machine (parallels or VMware). This might be a good way to go for you to ease the transition to your new machine. You can usually find either virtualizationware for $40-$60 after rebate.

BTW, welcome to the family!

Reaction score
I'm just after moving to mac also.

Get Logic Pro - it's the most amazing sound software ever, with a huge suite of apps :)

OP
JohnMcClane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Why in the world does my desktop image change when I restart my cpu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Because you have it set to. Go back to Change Desktop Background and untick "Change Picture"

OP
JohnMcClane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
ONE HUGE ISSUE I have that I cannot seem to figure out...

I listen to podcasts a lot while I fall asleep... Is there a way to shut the lid and have the cpu not go to sleep? I have poked around and cannot seem to find a way in power settings/energy etc...

...and that change pic wasnt checked... hmmm... I am doint some tests to figure that out hah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Don't trust the MacBook Pro's hard drive just cause it's an Apple... The HD crashing is quite a common occurrence... Apple has yet to own up to the fact

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you talking about? I haven't heard that many cases of hard drive failure in Apple's computers.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What are you talking about? I haven't heard that many cases of hard drive failure in Apple's computers.

The HDD is from third party companies like Samsung, Hitachi, and etc. It's not uncommon to have HDD fail, and it's not apples' fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The HDD is from third party companies like Samsung, Hitachi, and etc. It's not uncommon to have HDD fail, and it's not apples' fault.
Yep, and laptop drives fail.. more than desktop drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fine and dandy, but what does it have to do with this thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
This doesn't have much to do with the thread, but speaking from a very large amount of experience, most laptop HD failure is the result of lousy heat dissipation. That's why you get multiple drive failures with the same system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You're going to want iLife and iWork for the things you'd like to do on your Mac if you don't already have them. Congratulations on the switch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
An alternative to downloading a third-party program for your podcast thing would be to just turn the brightness all the way down until the monitor goes completely dark.

Reaction score
The reason I got an apple was because two of my Dell laptops HD's failed.

HAHA, you're logic and mine are very similar. Your $200 HD at most failed, so you justified spending $2700 on a new Mac Book Pro! Come on, you can admit it, we're all geeks here. You really just had to have the Mac, didn't you? ;D

Jason

OP
JohnMcClane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
HAHA, you're logic and mine are very similar. Your $200 HD at most failed, so you justified spending $2700 on a new Mac Book Pro! Come on, you can admit it, we're all geeks here. You really just had to have the Mac, didn't you? ;D

Jason
So...fellas few questions... basic stuff...

First, how do I set defaults for stuff...like every .doc to open in Pages instead of frigging text edit or whatever?

last...I use Firefox...in Windows you there is a button the side of the page that you could grab and jet to the top of a page....it takes forever to use my two fingers and keep sweeping up to reach the top of a page... anyone have suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
click once on the file and choose file> get info.

under open with, pic the app you want to use and click change all.

OP
JohnMcClane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Thanks a ton!

MOD'S!

Can you change the title of this thread to...

"new guy with Mac...loves it but has lots of questions"

or something along those lines... I keep posting in here and you guys are answering...which I appreciate a ton!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.