Brand new Mac user trying to open .WMA files

Reaction score
I just bought a new Mac two days ago and the learning curve has been somewhat intense, but I have figured most things out. But now I am stumped. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have an Olympus WS-110 digital voice recorder. I am trying to convert the .WMA file from that into iTunes. Now, on my PC I just plug it into my USB port, go to iTunes, select import, a message comes up saying it's a .WMA file and it needs to covert, I click yes, everybody's happy. I am finding it's not so easy with the Mac. I click import, nothing happens. I go to finder and try to open it that way and TextEdit opens it and it's just a file with all kinds of weird characters. I have also tried to drag from the desktop into iTunes, it just slides back to the desktop. Please, somebody, tell me how to get this file into my iTunes on my Mac!!

Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
Google for a plug-in called Flip4Mac. I installed it a couple of weeks ago to do what you're trying, and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
You can also try a component called Perian. It supports wma and a bunch of other formats and allows you to play your files in quicktime. Just search perian on google and you should find it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I found flip4mac, that costs. I downloaded Perian, it didn't work. So what you are saying is that I can't do it? I don't have the correct software?

After paying for the computer, I must admit I'm a bit upset that I can't do something as simple as download my DVR files. My PC had no problems. iTunes on my PC had no problems. Tell me why a Mac is better?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.