disabling startup in os9

B

baylorinstalls

I work at an installs dept. for a major university, and we have a slight problem with our macs we're deploying. We don't support many macs, so I'm sure it's a small thing that we're just overlooking.

We want to disable startup into os9, but the only trick is, we still need classic mode to run. We have noticed that powerbooks default to this, but our emacs do not, so we know that there is some way :)

If anyone can help us out or point us somewhere, that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Boot into OS X then go up to the Apple Menu (upper left) go to System Preferences, then click on "Startup Disk" select the OS X folder and go ahead and restart.. it should now start in OS X

If you are already in OS 9.. Im doing this from memory.. go to your control panels folder, which click on your hard drive icon, then click on "System Folder", then click on "Control Panels" then click on "Startup Disk" select the OS X folder and restart.

Cheers!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn said:
Boot into OS X then go up to the Apple Menu (upper left) go to System Preferences, then click on "Startup Disk" select the OS X folder and go ahead and restart.. it should now start in OS X

If you are already in OS 9.. Im doing this from memory.. go to your control panels folder, which click on your hard drive icon, then click on "System Folder", then click on "Control Panels" then click on "Startup Disk" select the OS X folder and restart.

Cheers!
The only problem here is, anyone can still restart the system to run OS 9, by restarting the system and pressing and holding the option key at startup. I believe he wants to this able this function. I thought that Apple did this with firmware, but I am not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh I see.. hmm.. well then Im really not sure that can be done.. If they need to still be able to get into classic then classic has to be bootable doesnt it? Then again Apple disabled bootup in Classic in the later models, so maybe that is the descrepencies between the hardware he is using...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn said:
Ahh I see.. hmm.. well then Im really not sure that can be done.. If they need to still be able to get into classic then classic has to be bootable doesnt it? Then again Apple disabled bootup in Classic in the later models, so maybe that is the descrepencies between the hardware he is using...

I think he means classic as in running it from OS X, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He said that he wants to disable classic from bootup, but he still needs it to run.. anyways hopefully we'll hear back from him and he can explain exactly where we all went wrong :)

OP
B

baylorinstalls

Murlyn said:
He said that he wants to disable classic from bootup, but he still needs it to run.. anyways hopefully we'll hear back from him and he can explain exactly where we all went wrong :)
Thanks for all the help, guys.
You were all close, but we've already gone through all of that.
What we need is a way that os9 won't even show up in the startup disk menu (under osx), but still have support for classic mode. We're using 10.2.4 if that helps. We have a temp solution, we just threw away the startup disk preference pane, but my boss wants a more "elegant" solution. Thanks again.

OP
B

baylorinstalls

Just to clarify, we want to sort of force people to use osx, instead of staying in 9. There are a bunch of old profs here that we have to pry their old performas away from. To quote: "But 7.2 works just fine!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removing the Pref Pane is the best bet until you upgrade your systems which are not bootable into OS 9..

OP
B

baylorinstalls

Yeah, that's what we're going to stick with until we get our g5's in. I heard that Panther won't boot into classic, is this correct? If not, we'll have to find another way, but right now, we're not installing enough of them to worry about it too much. Thanks for all of the help, guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah even current systems are not bootable in OS 9 I believe, so you dont need to wait until panther :) But yeah that should solve your problem

OP
D

DRIVEN

You could always create another User Account and restrict access to all OS 9 Applications as well as the System Preferences. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.