New to Apple and need advice!

Reaction score
I am a college student and looking to buy a new computer within the next year. I need one that will get the job done. Whether that be for class work or video games, such as World of Warcraft or maybe a game to come.

I'm leaning toward a Mac which is why I'm here and want to know if i should get a Macbook, MBP, iMac, or maybe even something different. I want the one with the most bang for its buck. I figured a laptop would be best since I'm in college, but was wondering if that's a good choice. I do like to experiment with designing such as using photoshop.

Oh when i mentioned being able to play video games, I want to be able to use pretty high video settings. I don't want to have to be forced to lower the settings just to have the frame rate at a decent number, like I have to now. (I don't have that great of a computer right now btw lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well, if you want to game and want a laptop I'd say get the MBP - you'll want the graphics card.

If you're not bothered about it being portable get the iMac :).

Reaction score
Well I would say that a MacBook will suit you fine, but it kind of depends on what video games you'll be playing.
WOW will play just fine on a MacBook, as will things like The Sims, etc. If you're going to be playing the cutting edge and high performance games, you might want to opt for an iMac or MacBook Pro. An iMac is cheaper, but obviously, is not a laptop.

The one with the most "bang for its buck" so to speak would be the MacBook - the Pro is probably going to be overkill, but it is difficult to judge.

All this being said, I noticed you said "within the next year" both laptops are due for significant updates soon (most likely in January) which might be worth thinking about.

OP
C
Reaction score
okay well i was originally leaning toward the MBP so i'll probably get that but does it have any problems with overheating if i were to play on it to much at one time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.