Need help setting up HP1018 LaserJet printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
In your browser, type

localhost:631

in the URL bar to get to the browser-based controls for CUPS. Go to the Administration tab, and manage the printing stuff from there. I'd recommend removing the printer from your printer list if it's there and using the "Add Printer" button to find and configure it correctly yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you also download and install Foomatic RIP and Ghostscript? (They're both required before the driver will work.) If you did, make sure they're installed and working. If necessary, re-install.

Did you check to see if a driver was available for the 1018 from the HP site?

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
The following are the files that I downloaded and installed:

In order:
Foomatic-RIP (224KB)
gplgs-8.61-ub.dmg (22.4 MB)
foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg

I installed several times in that order to ensure I didn't miss anything. I dragged and dropped'em all in one folder too just in case it makes any difference.

I also 'sihp1018.dl' in the same folder. I've named this folder 'Printer'.

Anyway, the printer sends the commands properly and it says 'sending data' and 'printing'. Then the job disappears assuming that it's done, but nothing comes out of the printer.

I also tried setting up the printer thru CUPS (localhost:681). I deleted the printer that I initially installed 'HP LaserJet 1018' and tried using 'Main' created via CUPS.

No luck at all.

I read on another forum that you're supposed to send 'sihp1018.dl' file to the terminal or something everytime you boot your computer. I've tried, but I believe it said its a bad/unknown command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.