Can I highlight/select a group of files like I can in Windows?

Reaction score
In Leopard, when I'm looking at a group of files or folders in the finder, and I want to select for example, 4 files in list view - I click on the first file, hold down down shift, then click on the last to highlight them all. I can then Command x, c, drag etc...

In Windows, if I have four files in a window in list, icon, detail view etc... I can left click in the white open space, which allows me to drag a box around the 4 files and highlight them. I can then apply the appropriate action.

Is the shift key, and the command key for single files in a folder the only way to select multiple files at one time in Leopard?

I'm comfortable with using shift and command in Leopard - just curious as to any other methods out there.

Thanks in advance....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
In Windows, if I have four files in a window in list, icon, detail view etc... I can left click in the white open space, which allows me to drag a box around the 4 files and highlight them. I can then apply the appropriate action.

This works exactly the same way in OS X, and like in Windows, you have to be in icon view to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you can also use the mouse in list view, but there is only a little room to the left to begin highlighting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.