Sweet 233MHz G3

O

Online-interfac

Hello,

I have fnally found a mac which i think i should be able to get!:D
But the thing it is a 233MHz G3, but hehehe I can upgrade it?

Sonnet HARMONi G3/600MHz Processor Upgrade/FireWire upgrade for the iMac Rev A-D (STIHAFWG3600) $341.99

This is possibly im told to belive! so my intentions are once save up money fr upgraed buy it and add it, til eventually i can upgrade ram and HDD also and install a superdrive so i can burn dvds off it!

Am excited any opinions!?

Dave

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Yeh you can upgrade it... but why would you want to?
Go buy yourself a G5/2 GHz ;)
But umm... yeh it's upgradable. I've had bad expiriances with iMacs so I told you to go G5 ;)
Well uhh... if you feel like shelling out some more cash I recomend getting something with a G4 Chip.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have a 233Mhz G3. I maxed out the ram to 384Mb and replace the 4GB disk drive with a 40GB disk drive. I also added an USB/Firewall PCI card, and another ethernet card. It is running Mac OS X 10.1.5 and classic 9.2.2. It is not fast but runs well, dfor basic stuff (e-mail, internet, word processing, itunes). I thought about upgrading it, but every time I think I can best use the money better else where. You may want to get a used or reconditioned G4.

OP
L

lokerd

Max ram of a a 233 iMac

rman said:
I have a 233Mhz G3. I maxed out the ram to 384Mb and replace the 4GB disk drive with a 40GB disk drive. I also added an USB/Firewall PCI card, and another ethernet card. It is running Mac OS X 10.1.5 and classic 9.2.2. It is not fast but runs well, dfor basic stuff (e-mail, internet, word processing, itunes).

Hello. I am teaching in a lab of 15 233 iMacs. They have 96mb of ram (I think it was upgraded) and hard drives with like 6gb. They have USB and ethernet built in. I am not sure what revision they are, but they did take the upgrade to 9.2.2, and I have 10.2 on it's way in as well as memory to upgrade to 160mb.

Question is...what is the max ram? I have read all kinds of different values.

Thanks for the feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
OS X will struggle on your iMacs with only 160mb ram. Why not just stay with 9.2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I believed the max ram to be 512.. or 256... I would put my money on 256.
I will check mactracker and get you an answer.

I agree with Muso... those macs will be swimming with no arms. I have a 333 iMac with 10.2.6 and its crying..

(Mac Tracker says: 256 is base.. but it appears to have multiple versions of that same mac.. and it went up to 256 and down to 128...? seems wrong.)

OP
L

lokerd

muso said:
OS X will struggle on your iMacs with only 160mb ram. Why not just stay with 9.2?

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

We got 5 new eMac computers. I have them currently booting in OS9, but they do not behave correctly, I think due to the fact that OS10 is expected. Some of the software will not run, such as MS Office documents. When we click on a file...it tries launching Office X, even though Office 2001 is on the computer. Se we have to open Office 2001 first, then try to open the file. I also want the students to be able to use some of the 10 specific media applications.

While I could leave the OS10 computers as OS10 stations, and leave the rest as OS 9, then it would be frustrating trying to teach to two different systems.

Actually, I guess the main reason is that I had a collegue tell me we needed to put all the machines at OS10, and then a local Apple Dealer tell me that the iMacs would run OS 10 just fine with 160mb of ram. That dealer also told me that 256 was the max ram. She said. "OS X runs fine with 160mb...".

Now I am not so sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Eh, shes mistaken, or using "runs fine" as it doesn't do anything it shouldn't.. it just "runs less fast" or to be more exact, slow.
The differences in OS9 and OS10 arn't so terribly different that you couldn't teach both systems. Those on OS10 would just be ahead of the game..

OP
L

lokerd

Graphite said:
Eh, shes mistaken, or using "runs fine" as it doesn't do anything it shouldn't.. it just "runs less fast" or to be more exact, slow.
The differences in OS9 and OS10 arn't so terribly different that you couldn't teach both systems. Those on OS10 would just be ahead of the game..

Hmmm. Well, I am certainly considering my options. I am about to call in just a couple of minutes to see if the order has been filled yet. It may be a moot point. If it hasn't I may be able to change the memory to a 256 module.

If I get it to 348 this year...and upgrade to OS10 later...will the 348 be enough to handle the OS 10 on the iMac...or will it still be a bad idea?

BTW, I also have OS X Server coming in to upgrade the G3 Blue and White Server, as well as Apple Remote Desktop.

If I put the OS10 on to try...will I be able to boot back in OS9 with little trouble?

The problem is that the order is basically filled. The Apple person goofed in not telling me that the machine would handle more memory and/or that OS 10 would not be a good idea. I don't have to install the software...but I sure hate to have wasted $885 of school money.

What a predicament!

Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.