Audio questions and more

Reaction score
I've been using various PCs and various versions of Windows for over 10 years. I've build my own rigs and even am several years into a profession as a programmer using Microsoft's languages. It is time for me to get a new computer, and my first thought was to build yet another custom PC rig and save some cash. However, I'm always looking for something better, and I've decided that the new iMac and new version of OS X are too sexy to pass up. I plan to buy the 3.06GHz iMac with 4GB of RAM and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Here are some concerns I have, and they mostly relate to audio, as it is a large hobby of mine.

1. Is it suitable for 5.1 stereo output?
I plan to buy a 5.1 speaker system and I want to make sure I'm getting everything out of it.

2. Is it suitable for audio input & midi input?
I've done a bit of recording and music experimentation in the past, but now I'm working towards music composition, and I want to know if the iMac has what I need to get the job done.

3. Is the graphics card really good?
I'm looking to run games like BioShock and Crysis at a smooth framerate with at least moderate settings. I will have Windows as a dual boot on the machine, FYI. I may use both Boot Camp and Parallels, but don't know much about them.

4. Will the theoretical 16GB RAM support of Snow Leopard allow current iMac models to upgrade to that amount?
This may have no answer right now, but I still want to know.

Thank you! =}

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Short answer for 1, 2, and 3. Yes.

Question 4: Not much is known about Snow Leopard as far as what it will and will not support in the way of hardware. However, current iMac models do not support more than 4 Gb of memory regardless of operating system. That's a hardware limitation. More memory support requires a Mac Pro.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have ordered the iMac. I guess I'll be back here later to share my experience with it. =}

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.