Rough first day...

Reaction score
Hi, brand new first time iMac user here :) So far, I'm really enjoying OSX and the overall "experience". But, I'm having an issue that I just can't seem to tackle alone. Coming from a geek of 20+ years, as "that guy you call for computer help" I'm having trouble and asking for help myself :)

I had a rather ancient Windows XP box previously with a G15 keyboard that I simplycannot live without. It's terrifying that I might actually have to install XP on this iMac just to get full use of it while playing World of Warcraft.

I setup the computer this afternoon, began installing the Mac version and started researching drivers and realized...wow, Logitech doesn't support Apple even slightly. I panicked. I cannot play without the extra 18 keys on the side.

I tried www.g15tools.com and tried the incredibly detailed, yet confusing and didn't quite work install instructions involving chmod and sudo and a lot of barely familiar commands in Terminal. Did I install it right? Eh, it's not working so I guess not. Next, I tried the easy-press-1-button Leopard package listed on that site as well. Seemed to install easily, yet didn't allow me to select a destination for install (which is good I suppose since I really wouldn't know where to put it either way). Finally I've tried out ControllerMate (www.orderedbytes.com) which is also supposed to be a useful overall USB hard-hack with a config file presetting a bit of the G15 keys for easy macroing.

No dice. I'm not sure if I've even uninstalled the original G15daemon correctly before using ControllerMate, which may not be working due to a conflict with the daemon drivers. In ControllerMate, it splits the keyboard into the 3 USB devices: the media controls, the 101-keyboard function, and the 18 additional G keys. The palette area where you can begin to macro doesn't show the additional G-keys at all, and there's some reports on their forums about some users having problems and some working flawlessly.

Please, if you can help, keep me from loading XP for a stupid keyboard. I need those 18-keys working. Using the 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce 8800 GS, 24" iMac.

Other info: Attempts at "starting" the G15daemon gave me file not found errors in terminal, even when I'm fairly sure I had pathed to the correct directory where it was installed. If I could get ControllerMate working, that would be FANTASTIC. Are there updates for Leopard out of the box I need that were USB-centric, or are my problems related to the previous G15Daemon install? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what is the directory and what is the output of

echo $PATH

?

OP
P
Reaction score
Launching from...Spotlight? gives:

Last login: Fri Sep 5 22:07:47 on ttys000
/opt/local/bin/g15daemon ; exit;
tonys-imac:~ Tony$ /opt/local/bin/g15daemon ; exit;
Failed to open PID file: Permission denied
An Error Occurred - 1 : ( Unable to write to PID file ) received
logout

[Process completed]

I attempted to open a Terminal, did sudo -l (that makes me stay root for awhile, right?) and then run it again and did nothing.

Thanks for the link for the LCC, but it doesn't support the G15.

EDIT: Also, even if I was able to get this G15Daemon running properly, and it might be sorta running already --- it's displaying the clock on the LCD ---, I can't even begin to find anywhere I can actually edit macros on the G keys. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sudo su -l would.

if you go to terminal and just type : echo $PATH

does it include /opt/local/bin

?

I know that's not in the default path.

OP
P
Reaction score
Upon a fresh reboot (tried the LCC anyways, but it doesn't recognize the keyboard), I typed the echo command. It responded with nothing:

Last login: Fri Sep 5 22:56:19 on console
tonys-imac:~ Tony$ sudo su -l
Password:
tonys-imac:~ root# echo $path

tonys-imac:~ root#

Then I used Spotlight to find the G15daemon file, which is supposed to be the program that runs this under OSX:

Last login: Fri Sep 5 23:10:34 on ttys000
/opt/local/bin/g15daemon ; exit;
tonys-imac:~ Tony$ /opt/local/bin/g15daemon ; exit;
An Error Occurred - 1 : ( Unable to write to PID file ) received
logout

[Process completed]

About to uninstall LCC and try without it. Maybe instead of permission denied this time, it's unable to write because of the LCC? ****, I don't know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Used the uninstall program that came with the Logitech Control Center. Now the clock that indicated the G15daemon might be working has disappeared. Still refuses to run no matter where I path to, using sudo or not, etc. The ControllerMate software still doesn't pick up the G keys, which is frustrating too.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help so far Dys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Little off topic, but I have tons of Logitech products with my Mac. I have a headset, plus tons of software, and speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
So that doesn't mean Logitech doesn't support Mac at all.

OP
P
Reaction score
I hardly think speakers and headphones qualify as support. Logitech just adds a 3.5mm plug to fit into any of the gazillion devices that support it :) I could have been more explanatory --- Logitech doesn't support any of the 7 USB devices I've purchased from them within the Mac OSX environment. 7 out 7 devices do squat :(

On a brighter note, after an Erase-and-Install, I've managed to get ControllerMate working for the G15. It's a powerful tool if anyone doesn't mind a little bit of investment ($15) to really drive their USB devices the way they want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.