HELP How do I find what taken up all of my harddrive?

C

coreymcl

I need some help trying to find out what is taken up all of my harddrive. I am running the latest version of OSX 10.3.7

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
how big is your hd total, and how much is missing?

OP
C

coreymcl

I have a 80GB harddrive and only have about 4.5GB left. So I am trying to find out what is taken up so much space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, well, an 80 gig hd is only really about 75 gb, and the os takes up about 3 gb, are you doing any video editing? apps, depending on what you use your mac for, can be upwards of a few gigs depending on how many you have. is your hd partitioned? also, the finder doesnt always update correctly, so use system profiler to find out how much space you really have left, or copy a 5 gig file to your hd and see what happens. also, if you have lots af screensavers and fonts and stuff like that, it adds up, not to that much, but still.
have you tried repairing permissions or zapping your pram?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Do you know, if this happened right away? Or did the HD space slowly disappear?

OP
D

design2

hey guys on that note. recently i have noticed my computer is getting real slow but normally i think its because the computer has been on to long and i have too many apps open, so i restart and that normally works..but now i try and it takes ages just to start up it stays on loading login page, i thought maybe it was because of HD space so i deleted heaps of stuff but still no change, even if no app are open?! i thought i could have a virus but i thought with norton and the security updates that was covered. do mac have something like system cleanup, that gives you a choice to delete old temp files and stuff ( i only know safari has a reset option ) i have 11gig free , i have a 30 gig G4 laptop..if that helps. any ideas whats happening and why? could someone be hacking in? also it happened directly after i downloaded a phpbb bulletin download then left the computer for 5 or so hours. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
design2 said:
hey guys on that note. recently i have noticed my computer is getting real slow but normally i think its because the computer has been on to long and i have too many apps open, so i restart and that normally works..but now i try and it takes ages just to start up it stays on loading login page, i thought maybe it was because of HD space so i deleted heaps of stuff but still no change, even if no app are open?! i thought i could have a virus but i thought with norton and the security updates that was covered. do mac have something like system cleanup, that gives you a choice to delete old temp files and stuff ( i only know safari has a reset option ) i have 11gig free , i have a 30 gig G4 laptop..if that helps. any ideas whats happening and why? could someone be hacking in? also it happened directly after i downloaded a phpbb bulletin download then left the computer for 5 or so hours. thanks
your hd filling up has nothing to do with speed, its not like windows where files get fragmented, and have you tried repairing permissions? do you have thousands and thousands of fonts?there are no viruses for mac, no one can hack in if they wanted to, try an app like onyx or cocktail, theyll delte caches and temp files, though there arent really any, if any at all, temp files. there are caches, cookies, etc. some apps use temp files, but are usually deleted when they quit the app.

OP
D

design2

i did verify and then repair permissions then restart but sadly that hasnt seemed to fix the problem..so i will most likely have to wipe my HD won't i?

where would i find cache files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
design2 said:
i did verify and then repair permissions then restart but sadly that hasnt seemed to fix the problem..so i will most likely have to wipe my HD won't i?

where would i find cache files?
mac hd>users>your username>library>caches.

OP
D

design2

how do i wipe my HD and re-install where do i go?
i have all the orginal disks can came with my comp..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
insert install disk 1, or whatever software install/restore discs you have, shut down the mac, start up holding down the C key, at the installation screen part where you select your hd, click options and select erase and install then continue following the steps.
make sure you have all your stuff backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.