Soon the be new Mac user question

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would like to try my first Mac so I can run Logic 8 and Digital Performer 5. I friend will sell me an 17" iMac core duo for real cheap. I know the website says max 2 gigs but can I install PC2-5300 DDR2 2X2 for a total of 4? I know the iMac might not be able to use all 4 gigs but maybe 3 which is still better than 2.

Any help would be awesome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
If the model has a max of 2GB of ram, you can put in 4, but the computer will only use 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
My MacBook supports 2GB. When I put in 4 it wouldn't boot. I wouldn't expect an iMac to be any different.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks guys I'll just buy 2 gigs than. Does anyone know if I can install leopard 10.5 on an old core duo iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I would think that you can, although I'm not too sure. I've heard of people that have done it before, but it doesn't always work on a consistent basis.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's to bad I can't install 4 gigs on the 17" iMac core duo. It's only 20 dollars more than 2 gigs.

Reaction score
thanks guys I'll just buy 2 gigs than. Does anyone know if I can install leopard 10.5 on an old core duo iMac?

I have a late 2006 iMac core duo. I upgraded to Leopard and it worked fine. Although, if you have a max of 2 gig of ram and its optimum configuration is 3 gig then I'd go up the last gig. When I did that I noticed a difference of the good kind.

Although if it is the early 2006 one then it's maximum is only 2 gig.

OP
D
Reaction score
So your saying if all I can have is a max of 2 gigs than leopard wont run well. I would turn of any fancy options leopard has. I need this PC to use for audio recording.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh no. On the contrary. I only have 2GB or ram for my imac. With Leopard. And it flies. Even with audio/video editing. Getting that 3rd gig if your machine can use it might not produce the results you want. It'll provide more ram for your machine to use. But I rarely use up all of my 2GB with photoshop, itunes, garageband, msn, and firefox open all at the same time with work going on in each.

So I think the 2GB should be fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks guys I have one more question.

The iMac core duo only has a 17" screen. So I thought I would buy a mini-DVI connector and connect that to a Matrox DualHead2Go. This should allow me to add 2 external monitors plus the 17" screen on the Mac.

Will this work. And from what I've researched it shouldn't slow down my Mac with 2 gigs of ram?. Or will it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.