Hard Time Swallowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am an iPhone owner and long time Apple fan. I will need to purchase a laptop for high school/college soon and I have a hard time thinking that I can buy a Macbook Pro for $2000 and get a Windows based computer like that for half the price. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
so buy a lower end windows laptop and be happy.

Reaction score
Well there's a lot of difference between the two computers:

- The computer you pointed out has a 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. The MacBook Pro has a faster 2.4GHz
- The computer you pointed out has a 160GB hard drive, the MBP has 200GB
- The Macbook Pro has wireless 802.11n
- The Macbook Pro has a built-in webcam
- The Macbook Pro comes with Mac OS X and iLife

The bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I am an iPhone owner and long time Apple fan. I will need to purchase a laptop for high school/college soon and I have a hard time thinking that I can buy a Macbook Pro for $2000 and get a Windows based computer like that for half the price. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Yes, you are missing something. Buy the Windows PC and live with it.

Reaction score
Yes, you are missing something. Buy the Windows PC and live with it.

Why does everyone have to be so snobby!?
The guy came to ask for information - the "I'm an enlightened mac user, everyone else is an ignorant fool" attitude that so many people have on this forum is terrible. If someone asked you the question he asked in real life you'd never be so rude!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lets keep it nice in here gentleman. Also there is a CHANCE that with only ONE post he is a Troll. We get them all the time. IF the Op is a Troll, then Baggss posted the right response.

To the OP, If you want a Windows machine, get it. The only LEGAL way to run OSX is by purchasing a Mac. The other poster told you the other differences between the two machines. OSX is the reason I would pay more for a Mac. That and iLife, but in the end it's OSX for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
I agree with Mark W.

If one post makes him a troll then we all were on our first post.

Mark WAS trying to keep it nice and for that he got the answer he got. I saw nothing in the post requesting information saying the poster was try to run OS X on anything not allowed. So why was that part of the answer?

This is NOT a flame just an observation.

Sometimes the mirror can be cruel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well, if you really aren't bothered about the OS X/Windows thing I'd say go for the Windows machine. Yes, the MBP is a pretty piece of kit, but there's not much point in having a Mac if you're not fussed about the OS.

Just my 2 pence.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how much is your time and patience worth?

in my experience, running OSX takes a lot less maintenance than running windows, less restarts, less time restarting, less muss, less fuss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I have given up on trying to tell someone who's going to buy a pc come H*ll or high water why they should go with a mac.

I just keep quiet and say "get the pc, let me know how it goes"! :D

Many eventually come back with a story about how they had problems with it, and I just chuckle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If someone asked you the question he asked in real life you'd never be so rude!

Really? Do you even know me? Maybe you wouldn't but please do not assume that anyone else, especially someone you don't know, would not.

I agree with Mark W.

If one post makes him a troll then we all were on our first post.

Given the rash of recent troll attacks around here it IS a distinct possibility. Even if he is not though, my response still stands.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The following article from Tom's Hardware site is worth reading:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html

Having been in this business for well over 30 years, I'm always asked why I purchased a Mac instead of a lesser expensive PC. You pay for what you get is still a good answer. Anyway, for you doubters and Trolls, read the article from Tom's site.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OP was complaining about the price difference. Baggss told him to go with the Windows system. I pointed out that OSX only can legally run on Mac Hardware because AS I SAID OSX to me is the only reason to purchase a Mac over a PC. If one wants OSX, you need a Mac. If people feel the Mac is not worth a bit more, then stick with a Windows system. I stand by my words as does Baggss.

I am waiting for the OP to return and comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am not bashing the original poster here, but Oscar Wilde summed it all up

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Most people don't need a MPB for Highschool or College. Only in the event that you are working in motion graphics, graphic design, or the music industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Lets keep it nice in here gentleman. Also there is a CHANCE that with only ONE post he is a Troll. We get them all the time. IF the Op is a Troll, then Baggss posted the right response.

Then there must be a lot of trolls in the forums because Baggss' replies seem to consistently have this same tone about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then there must be a lot of trolls in the forums because Baggss' replies seem to consistently have this same tone about them.

Sorry if you don't like my "tone", you might want to explore the "Ignore" feature.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No attacking of any member here is allowed. What Baggss posted fits the OP's comment as far as I am concerned.

Dysfunction basically said the same thing and you not one called his post mean.

If a person comes here just to say that Macs are overpriced and some Vista HP machine is a better deal, why did you come here to say that? This is a Mac forums here to help people with their Macs and not to bash Macs or their users into the ground. I do not go to Windows forums and point out that OSX is a superior OS. I go to help people with their Windows issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.