permissions error

Reaction score
so i plug my wd passport into my AEBS I copied some files from the windows machine to the drive then I ejected it and plugged it into the mac. The mac cannot access new files and it says i do not have sufficient privilages. Any idea what is causing this? and how to fix it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Does this drive have some kind of protection scheme that would be recognized and setup when attaching to Windows?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive is formatted as NTFS, it will be read only. Or, if you copied Windows files that are read only, the same error will result.

If you want your external drive to be usable for both Windows and OS X, re-format it to FAT-32 if it is not already. As for read only Windows files, use the properties dialog from Explorer to remove the read only attribute before copying the files to the external drive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.