iMac + Macbook or MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 8GB, 30GB iPod, iMac 20" 2.4ghz 4GB Ram
My pc blew up back in April and was my only computer and thus I decided that there was no better time to buy a Mac. Due to not having a computer I didn't put much thought into what I wanted--an iMac it was. The following day I drove to Seattle and purchased a 20" version. It has a 2.4GHz core 2 duo with 4GB of ram that I installed. It also has a 300gb HDD.

I'm heading off to university on the 24th of September and am looking into getting a laptop. My girlfriend brought up a great point: Why didn't I just get a MBP [in the first place] for the power (which is why i went iMac) and then i'd also have a laptop for the versatility. I hate when she is right So it got me to thinking that maybe I should have gone with a MBP instead of the iMac since the MBP would fulfill both my needs.

Right now I am in debate on whether to buy a Macbook (tired of waiting for this "update" but trying to be patient) or sell my iMac and purchase a Pro.

The things I use my iMac for are as follows and in no particular order:

browsing the internet
Counter strike
World of warcraft
itunes
email/IM
soon to be TONS of school work
more world of warcraft (as well as maybe Diablo 3)

Having never had a laptop, is it kind of a pain to make a desktop? (being smaller, having the keyboard attatched..etc)

What do you guys think? And if in fact it was decided to go with the MBP, what would be a good amount to sell my iMac for?

Appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I have an imac with the 24" screen for my daytime use. I have the macbook more for playing, i.e., itunes and night time surfing. I like a "real" keyboard (perhaps it is an age thing) and the big screen. I would not like to work on a notebook full time. I take my laptop to meetings and take notes for minutes as the secretary. When I get home I email them to my iMac and perfect them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Your girlfriend is right. I would get a Macbook in your case. I would leave the gaming to a desktop computer that isn't a Mac. >_<""

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are implying that I get a PC, not a chance. Hate windows and will never ever go back :D Plus the games I want to play work fine on a Mac and if i NEED windows, I can always install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I would leave the gaming to a desktop computer that isn't a Mac. >_<

Eh? My iMac plays games great.

You could sell and get the MBP, but could you cope with losing screen size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz 3gb
I have just bought a macbook 2.4Ghz and have also bought a 24" hd screen and apple mouse and keyboard, Now i feel like i have the best of both worlds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
go with the macbook, with what you need to use a computer for a macbook pro would be an overkill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
I would go for a Macbook.
If you have the money add a keyboard, mouse and monitor :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
Macbook Pro+Griffin Elevator+Apple Keyboard+Logitech VX Revolution Notebook Mouse=All you need.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm fine with losing 5" on my screen but how much resolution and "look" will I lose? I love the iMac display.

What's rumored in the new pro updates? I have been following the MacBook rumors which seem to point to a total redesign but the pros are already aluminum, correct?

Also, I found a site that calculates the worth of you Mac and I figured my iMac was worth $1200 and it valued it at $1280.

Chances are I'd be getting time capsule sooner or later for my apartment so hdd space isn't that big of a deal. Are time capsules pretty good wireless routers? I'm pretty sure I read they function as one.

Thanks again all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.