Connecting a PC to a wireless network on my time capsule

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 17" MacBook pro and a 500gig Time capsule. I have set it up and it works perfectly as my wireless router and for backups for my mac.

I am struggling though to connect a PC to the wireless network. I am not very technically minded and am very new to all of this. All i can say is that the PC is seeing the network but it just wont connect.

Can anyone help me with this please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Windows? Have you tried using the wireless connection wizard? Post back with details of what you've done to try to connect from Windows.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chscag

Thanks for your reply. Just figured it out with my IT friend who is great with PC's.

The PC had a static DNS address. We changed that and it now works fine.

Also, the wireless channel on the time capsule had to be set to channel 9 for windows to communicate.

All sorted now. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Toshiba laptop not connecting to New 1tb time capsule

Kind of the same problem with the above. I have an XP toshiba laptop that can see my new time capsule wireless but won't connect. My Ilife machine connected to it with little problems and is doing its regular back ups. Would love to get the laptop on the network. the error message i get from the laptop when i try to connect through the wireless network connections menu is... "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. the network may no long be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again. I have put it next to the time capsule with the same result. I plugged my old net-gear wireless server into the new time capsule and am connecting to the network that way for now. BTW. i have disconnected the wireless connection from the net-gear wireless and tried to connect to the time capsule but had the same results. ANY help would be great. I've had the Mac one year and have gained a bit of knowledge along the way but i'm still smarter at a PC .... for now.

rdm

Reaction score
Problem Fixed

Amazing. I have been struggling with getting a PC to connect consistently to my Time Capsule for days now. Just read the above post, changed the channel on my TC to 9, and voila - it's working great.

THANK YOU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook
Toshiba Satellite and Time Capsule

I spent the last two days trying to get my job's PC (Toshiba Satellite) to connect with my Time Capsule longer than three minutes. I was finally able to do it by setting the radio setting on the TC to 802.11 b as suggested by this:

In wrong mode...

If you have the new 802.11n Airport Extreme it is possible to be in the wrong mode, in other words running in 802.11n or 802.11a and your Windows laptop can only access 802.11b or 802.11g networks. Check the wireless radio mode of the Airport base station.

from this: Problems connecting an XP PC to an Airport Base Station

I'm posting it here in hopes that it will help someone else in the future.

Reaction score
Hi chscag

Thanks for your reply. Just figured it out with my IT friend who is great with PC's.

The PC had a static DNS address. We changed that and it now works fine.

Also, the wireless channel on the time capsule had to be set to channel 9 for windows to communicate.

All sorted now. Thanks again.

How do you go about changing your DNS address from static. I get the part with the channel and what not but not sure how you go about changing the DNS address.

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.