"Mac isn't right for me"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I'm looking for posts from people who bought Macs over PCs and then decided that it wasn't right for them. You hear so much on this forum about how great a decision it was to change, how about the opposite?

PS: Please no flame-wars!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
They're around here. Not to be one of "those" people but did you try the search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
search dude search..

Reaction score
This is funny that nobody has posted yet. maybe not that many users have made a mistake or if they have or had they changed their mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Considering all modern macs support boot camp out of the box, In the Situation where you cant get something to work under OS X, chances are you can just pick up a copy of vista or xp and throw it on a second partition and still enjoy the sexy Mac Hardware :)

I know when I picked up my first MacBook 2 years ago I had never owned or used a modern Mac with OS X, Most of my experiences were with OS 9 or older at school. At first I ran alot of stuff in Bootcamp or Parallels then I started to slowly to use OS X more and more until I used it as my Primary OS.

I am now on my second Macbook (pro now), And I also support Windows PCs and Windows PC networks at work, So using OS X is a very nice change.

I know this isnt exactly the post you were looking for but, hope it helps in your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I bought a Mac in February. My first. In June I was seriously unhappy and despite the cost, was thinking of going back. The most painful thing for me has been the loss of the software available for Windows. I have not had the wherewithal to pay $400 or more for XP and am not even sure I want to run both although I did buy Parallels when I bought the Mac (I did not realise I had given away my XP by lending my computer to a friend. Too embarrassing to deprive them of it just so I can grab the OS so I can have dual OSs).

I am making a short story long. I got far enough down the path to have the entire family agree I could just give it up and go back but at the last minute, the money question hurt so I decided to try it for a couple more months without thinking about Windows. I am now spending time trying to be a Mac person and just accepting that I am in a different country. I cannot truthfully say I prefer it to the PC but at least I no longer want to throw it off the balcony.

Just to let you know you are not the only one. Several of my friends got Macs at the same time. We are all old old PC users who finally confessed to each other that if we had to do it again, we wouldn't.

Not sure if "grin and bear it" was quite what you wanted to hear.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
there is one thread that i know of here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ok, I'm in that camp. I have to say though, I haven't used Windows in about 3 years. If I had to, it would be XP w/SP1. Anything past SP1 is overly intrusive. I've been using Linux Ubuntu and similar distros. Ubuntu isn't perfect, but I'd say almost, except for a couple of things. Sure, there's the whole drivers issue, but we all know who is to blame for this (Windows and contracts etc). Thankfully, the tide is turning though. AMD and ATI are going full on Linux support, which is great.

My wife needed a new computer (laptop) because her 8 year ol Compac was dying. We had also just received a 5 year old Dell Laptop from a friend for free and I installed Linux Mint on it. which runs just fine, actually. But I figured that my wife should use something which she'd be able to say was hers, and not have any problems with when wanting to go wireless outside etc.. And I also had some personal ideas about wanting to work more with photography, as well as music programs.

Have a friend who worked for Apple, and was always trying to convince me that I'd love a Mac yada yada... The wife and I were in an Apple store in Tampa one day (on vacation) and she says.. I really like that one, we're using them at work now. The keyboard is very comfortable. So I was like, Ok... let's get one if you want, why not.

Making the story shorter.. She would have been just as well off using Linux for what she's doing. She could have used Open Office for her work stuff. As for myself, I found that all the proprietary ways in which Apple products/software are meant to be, is very annoying. I loathe iTunes. iPhoto is a silly toy, but is fine I guess if you're not using it for anything serious. These programs in and of themselves, are programmed quite illogically and have taken up too much of my time in trying to get them to do what I want them to, rather than me doing what they want me to.

I've also found, as a "switcher" that there's a lot more to having things "just work" then people say. Sure, if you're willing to let go of doing things the way you want to, and just let every bit of database mess, run your life, then don't worry about it, you'll be fine. All you have to do basically, is not care about what is happening behind the scenes. Never mind though, that precious hard drive space is likely being wasted because of how file management is handled. There's a lot more to it than this, but it would take far too much of a rant to go through it all.

I personally find OS X to be fairly less (I'd say a lot, but don't want to argue) efficient than Windows when it comes to certain things, and a LOT less efficient than Linux in the same regard. The thing I have yet to really get into yet though, which might make me change my tune a bit, is the dedicated programs such as Aperture 2, Logic and Garage Band. I really want to start making music, editing photos and start putting photo galleries together in conjunction with the mobile.me account I bought into.

I saw an Apple tech (at the apple store) messing about with Aperture 2, and making a web page using the .Mac stuff, and was pretty impressed with the features. So while I'm not overly impressed with the every day stuff one would do on a PC, on a Mac, I'd like to think that there is a lot I have yet to learn, which will make me appreciate the other side of the coin.

Doug

Edit: Pet Peeve: Not having cut/paste on a computer, is about the most single handed idiotic thing...ever. And no.. holding down cmd while dragging and dropping is NOT the same. Yes, the end result is the same, but it's all in how you get there. That's what efficiency is all about.

Reaction score
I bought a Mac in February. My first. In June I was seriously unhappy and despite the cost, was thinking of going back. The most painful thing for me has been the loss of the software available for Windows. I have not had the wherewithal to pay $400 or more for XP and am not even sure I want to run both although I did buy Parallels when I bought the Mac (I did not realise I had given away my XP by lending my computer to a friend. Too embarrassing to deprive them of it just so I can grab the OS so I can have dual OSs).

I am making a short story long. I got far enough down the path to have the entire family agree I could just give it up and go back but at the last minute, the money question hurt so I decided to try it for a couple more months without thinking about Windows. I am now spending time trying to be a Mac person and just accepting that I am in a different country. I cannot truthfully say I prefer it to the PC but at least I no longer want to throw it off the balcony.

Just to let you know you are not the only one. Several of my friends got Macs at the same time. We are all old old PC users who finally confessed to each other that if we had to do it again, we wouldn't.

Not sure if "grin and bear it" was quite what you wanted to hear.

I second that, sums up my situation too - I've been considering switching back t a Dell or similar too but eventually bit the bullet, loaded WIndows XP and we'll see how it goes from here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
This is funny that nobody has posted yet. maybe not that many users have made a mistake or if they have or had they changed their mind.

You're on a Mac forum. If they changed, didn't like it, and changed back, they wouldn't be here to post about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You're on a Mac forum. If they changed, didn't like it, and changed back, they wouldn't be here to post about it.
that's not entirely true, there are threads about it. the one thing that seems to be common is that the people who post about it always seem to try and continue to use a windows/linux/whatever box, even though it's a mac. everybody's got their own personal usage style I guess.

Reaction score
Pet Peeve: Not having cut/paste on a computer, is about the most single handed idiotic thing...ever. And no.. holding down cmd while dragging and dropping is NOT the same. Yes, the end result is the same, but it's all in how you get there.

Agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Edit: Pet Peeve: Not having cut/paste on a computer, is about the most single handed idiotic thing...ever. And no.. holding down cmd while dragging and dropping is NOT the same. Yes, the end result is the same, but it's all in how you get there. That's what efficiency is all about.

Hey Doug, often the same key patterns that work with Windows/DOS machines work with Macs. Just replace the control key with the Apple/Command/cloverleaf thingy key. Example command + x = cut, Cmmd + c = copy, Cmmnd + v = paste. Cmmnd + tab will do the same thing that Alt + tab will do on windows. There are tons more. Also, whenever you look at anything in a dropdown menu, the key patterns are right there just to the right of the menu item it's a shortcut for. I use the key commands all the time, rather than my mouse or trackpad. They let me do things a lot faster. Seems pretty efficient to me...

Also, it's not necessary to hold the command key while dragging. You can select a series of items with the shift key and a group of individual item not in a sequence with the command key. Then, without holding the command key, you can drag the whole lot to wherever you want it.

Reaction score
You mean Cmd+X and Cmd+V? That cut and paste?

I meant that you can't use the mouse to highlight something and then right click to cut/copy and paste. Or is there a way to do that with the Mac mouse? I'm still learning the OS.

Reaction score
I thought I would be one of those people but I am not. I spent 6-month's going back and forth on the decision....just to discover that I was making something out of nothing... You just have to give it a chance... A Mac is not a PC (learn to stop thinking PC) and you have to learn to do things differently, even if it means learning new programs. An open-mind goes a long way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
I meant that you can't use the mouse to highlight something and then right click to cut/copy and paste. Or is there a way to do that with the Mac mouse? I'm still learning the OS.

I'm using my old USB microsoft mouse from my old PC and it has all the same functions. Cut, paste, copy, save link, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

That's a standard gripe from windows users. To be honest I never use it on Windows either so I don't really think abut it on the Mac.

It's neither right or wrong on either system, it's just an area where the two OS's are different. As someone else said, stop thinking like this is windows, it's not. If you are willing to learn new things and new ways of doing things you'll be fine, If you continue to expect it to act just like Windows, you never going to get there.

Reaction score
It's neither right or wrong on either system, it's just an area where the two OS's are different. As someone else said, stop thinking like this is windows, it's not. If you are willing to learn new things and new ways of doing things you'll be fine, If you continue to expect it to act just like Windows, you never going to get there.

I'm willing to learn, but I'm not willing to concede that Windows is inferior in all regards. I guess I'll have to swap my Mac Mouse with my Windows mouse because as a writer, I cut, copy and paste hundreds of times a day.

Reaction score

Yes there is (Unless you have the really old one button Apple mouse), the Mighty Mouse has a right click but is not enabled by default). Just enable secondary click on your right mouse button.

To do this, go to System Preferences/Keyboard and mouse/Click on the Mouse tab/Change right button to secondary click. You should now have the same right click function to which you are accustomed.

PS
You can also do this for laptop trackpads (Macbook and Macbook Pros only) by enabling a two finger click to register as a right click

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.